The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Florida Drought Busting

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
admin

Well, it has now been raining for 24 hours. They are predicting between 5 and 10 inches of rain over the next 24 hours for the central Florida area. Yesterday I was in SW Orlando and was hit by winds powerful enough to lift the suspension of my 1 ton van. Hopefully this will start breaking the drought and get our lakes at least partially back to level. Flooding is becoming an issue in low lying areas, but not too many folks are griping.

So far, damage has been almost nil in our area. A few downed branches that were left over from previous storms and some leaves deposited on the ground. Today will determine the truth of it though as Alberto passes overhead.

In the satellite image from Weather.com you will notice the majority of the rain bands of what is left of Alberto is concentrated southward over the central Florida area. My plants, grass and ski boat thank mother nature!
ma267
Expert

Dont think you will have to worry about forest fires for awhile.
kdawg
Beginner

I thought they mowed them all down by now so yankees could make Florida the way they had it back home.

We use to call Tropical Storms nothing more than a summer squall.
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

Notice the rather large swirl positioned over Tally. We have gotten a really good amount of rain in the last 8 hrs. Just as an aside, here in Fl we have these freaky things called sink holes that open up from time to time, especially when the water table is greatly reduced. They are cavities in the ground which collapse in and take whatever is above em down. The water table is so low in N. Fl that the sink holes underneath lake Jackson (about 1000 acres) opened up and drained the lake last week!

http://tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AI ... 7530464670
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
Zeus
Expert

I was in Orlando yesterday and just beat out the rain and winds. There was some pretty good little storms that hit on and off on Sunday too. Still had a good trip, even got to see first hand the grass fires.

No, not that kind of grass fire, but the real kind.
snowbird
Advanced

ill be in orlando on july 30th at islands of adventures. then its over to busch gardens, then up to gainsville and possible a day on the beach.

BOOMBER>
ski11
Intermediate

snowbird wrote:
then up to gainsville

Going to visit the town of the national champs, eh?

g8erhater
Advanced

ski11 wrote:

snowbird wrote:
then up to gainsville

Going to visit the town of the national champs, eh?

Also the town of Canadian Tuxedos:

:lol:
ski11
Intermediate

seminole aj wrote:

Ouch. But......

The TL Hanna Boys Track & Field team won its first Region Championship in five years this season.