The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Waterski Anyone?

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
XboxChick
Intermediate

i've been water skiin' a couple of times...not very good....but being on a boat in the middle of summer is the bestest feeling...ok besides skiin' on some nice powder :lol:
admin

SKISC wrote:
And has a bigger built in cooler than the ski boats did.

Very important
admin

drmnofpow wrote:
DiasasterCraft :lol: Get a Nautique.

Ahhh horse@#$%!!! Nautiques are for doctors with more money than brains! They are WAY too expensive and just as pathetically made as any other boat. When I was looking at ski boats I found the major manufacturers ridiculous in price. Mastercraft, Malibu and Nautiques were insanely priced for what you get. Why spend $40,000 for the ski bling unless you are simply trying to impress your buds? You might as well spend $10,000 for your skis that match your Obermeyre suit!

I am a ski slut, not a ski bunny. I drive a 2003 Moomba Outback

that performs just as good as most of the high dollar boats. Reality is, if you want to spend the big bucks, go for it. If you just want to ski, why bother spending more than you have to? Pay for what you need and leave it at that!
admin

Mastercraft does not have the best wake for wakeboarding. Maybe skiing, but no way in hell does Mastercraft have the best wake for boarding.
TNKen
Intermediate

Friend bought a new Mastercraft wakeboard boat two years ago. $60k+. It has been nothing but problems. Electrical, sound system, engineering, engine. The factory finally took it back and kept it over the winter to refurb it. We were going to lemon law it, but MC finally agreed to a makeover.

I know the boats have a great rep, but this one was a lemon.

Ken
AJones
Beginner

Back several years ago when I was into Bass tournament fishing I’d drop by a couple of good friends houses that lived on the lake and had a slalom course in their back yard. People would always be there trying to impress their friends and didn’t know me except that I was some fisherman that showed up in a bassboat. What they didn’t know was I was a regular driver for my buddies and skied the coarse on a regular basis. Then one of my buddies, both Mastercraft owners, would always ask me if I wanted to ski after everyone else made fools of themselves attempting the course. I’d pull my slalom ski out of the rod locker, grab the rest of my stuff and jump into one of the back of one of the Mastercrafts at the dock. Then I’d go run a 28 off pass at 36 mph behind someone else’s boat. Who would expect a bassfisherman to be able to do that. Yeah the Mastercrafts are great boats to ski behind but I always let my skiing do the talking.

Today I ski behind my 1996 Moomba Boomerang which I bought new 10 years ago. I ski just as well behind it as any other inboard ski boat and never had to do anything other than routine maintenance. I average 30 to 40 days a year on the water so my boat does get used. Sure it’s not as fancy as a new Mastercraft but it has everything I need and I still let my skiing talk for me. Of course it’s not a wakeboard boat but I don’t wakeboard anyway so to me it’s a perfect slalom and barefoot boat. If you’ve got the money, go ahead and get the Mastercraft or whatever. If you just love to ski, enjoy what you have for as long as it lasts. It’s not the boat that makes the skier.

Sorry so long but thought I needed to make a point.
admin

Well, if you wakeboard behind a MC ski boat, don't expect much wake. If you wakeboard behind a MC X-star, then katy bar the door. Never ever judge a line by any one boat.

As for my Moomba, I ski the course with it on a regular basis and like it better than many MCs I have skied behind. I have found one MC that just about makes me reach a climax but it is an MC outboard with no wake whatsoever. Shortline behind that is a total rush! But I have also skied behind MCs shortline that just flat out stink. Believe it or not, I have skied at 43 off behind my Moomba and unloaded it is almost as good as any other boat I have skied behind, including Nautiques which I have skied behind for competition. I must admit though, in comps the Nautique does have a bit of an edge wake wise as long as you are above 30 mph. Below 30 they aren't so good and for that I prefer my Moomba and almost any MC or Malibu.

I am not loyal to any boat manufacturer and can tell you I didn't buy my boat to sell it nor let it sit in the garage. My boat is used in rotation with our local ski group and I average over 100 days of skiing each season. I have no intention of selling my boat in the near future. I have pulled many a skier with my boat and many times, my boat is preferred for most things. It isn't perfect for all things, but it really hums for what I use it for and that is all that matters to me. BTW, I have even pulled two barefooters at 42 mph with it. So dollar for dollar, it was worth the money.

Here is a photo of me standing on the dock next to my Moomba Outback:

snowbird
Advanced

i have weakeboarded behing a nautiqe, mastercraft, moomba, tiga, jet ski, and a fishing boat, sunbird, and many other. i think the nautiqe and mastercraft are the best. moomba was not all that great. wake was kinda like a wall. the mastercraft had a few fat sacks and had a killer wake. natique always has a killer wake. thats what i rode behind all of last season, and will much more this season.

but yeah. boats are boats, its all in the riders ability. ill post pics if you all need em.