The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Anyone ski Snowshoe on MLK weekend?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

I'm wondering if anyone has skied Snowshoe on MLK weekend? I was wondering if the lift lines and crowds are huge? I assume it would be just as busy as Christmas week, which I have gone to in the past. I would think they would have a few more trails open then Christmas week though so it may spread out the crowds. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Wanakenatransplant wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:10 pm I'm wondering if anyone has skied Snowshoe on MLK weekend? I was wondering if the lift lines and crowds are huge? I assume it would be just as busy as Christmas week, which I have gone to in the past. I would think they would have a few more trails open then Christmas week though so it may spread out the crowds. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
I was there for Christmas week and MLK last year. They had way more trails open on MLK, but the crowds were still gnar. Lift lines were pretty much the same to be honest. I feel like the weekend crowds up there are consistently awful nowadays no matter what. I am really, really going to miss my Primo Pass this season.
WOOOOOO!

marzski
Advanced

I wouldn't drive to WV to ski at Snowshoe over MLK weekend. Not from what I read on DCSki, and those guys have a shorter drive.

From western NC, might be worth a longer drive to Timberline at this point. The 6-pack detachable to the top makes a big difference. As does the fact that the Perfect family know how to run a quality operation. There will be night skiing until 8pm this season on a few trails.

I'll be at Massanutten per usual. Have a friend making the drive from Raleigh with a tween daughter who only gets to ski on holiday weekends. There will be a new blue trail on the upper mountain. I doubt that's going to cause the lift line to the top to be much longer. In the last decade, having more than two chairs loading while standing in line was a "long line."
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

theKENDOG wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:34 am
Wanakenatransplant wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:10 pm I'm wondering if anyone has skied Snowshoe on MLK weekend? I was wondering if the lift lines and crowds are huge? I assume it would be just as busy as Christmas week, which I have gone to in the past. I would think they would have a few more trails open then Christmas week though so it may spread out the crowds. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
I was there for Christmas week and MLK last year. They had way more trails open on MLK, but the crowds were still gnar. Lift lines were pretty much the same to be honest. I feel like the weekend crowds up there are consistently awful nowadays no matter what. I am really, really going to miss my Primo Pass this season.
Thanks for the feedback Kenny. We may head up for MLK. Hopefully they will get a chance to make snow soon. The way the weather forecast looks right now I am not sure if they will get open for Thanksgiving.
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

If the forecast for next week holds, the sustained cold air will allow for enough snow-making to open for Thanksgiving. Maybe Brad Pano will be posting his forecast soon.

Anymore, every weekend is busy everywhere. It is possible to avoid crowds at Snowshoe but you have to be willing to visit Silvercreek mid afternoon.