The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

snowbird razzing

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
johnfekete1
Beginner

I went to snowbird with my two brothers and others paid like 60 a night lodging in SANDY. tOP of snowshoe thinks they are ASPEN with prices they charge. Anyways we went like feb7 and they had noooooo snow for 4 weeks or more. My brother luke told me take two pair of skis or if you take only one dont bring the SKY 7 powder skis, no snow in sight.
SO i bring my rossingnol B2 skis . the skiing was not that bad we only did like 3 bump runs they were not forgiving hard but not icy. IM riding up lift with this bearded bastard local he looks at my skis and said ARE YOU FROM FLORIDA, man i laughed hard, yes my skis are old but i can ski ok . then he saw my younger brother doing real well and said your good.
my brother hiked 45 minutes to find an ok powder run, But me and the other crew found the mineral basin had windblown powder and it was greatttttttt no hiking required we did that run probably 2o times in two days.
A LOCAL told me in 25 years he never seen it not snow that long ever. Our other friend pastor dave met up with THE SKI GURU FROM SNOWBIRD. he is real ski guru this guys is like 70 he was in ski magazine once he showed them all the groomer runs on front side snowbird which is good idea with no powder.
like 7 days after we left they finnally got dumped on with snow.
johnfekete1
Beginner

i will take it i welcome any comment im not a professional writer as you can ascertain but i do bring up some funny interesting opinions that can be debated.
mondaylady
Beginner

It's getting to the point where skiing, especially out west, is a rich person's sport. For the most part, developers like Intrawest are to blame for that. Under them, my old stomping ground Crystal Moutain went from a simple but nice locals' mountain to a way overpriced tourist trap. Just to ride their new gondola is an extra $40 on top of a lift ticket.
At the same time I know some people who have skied in Europe recently, and it's like night and day. They have nice ski areas, including Doppelmayrs with heated seats, and they might pay the equivalent of $30-40 for an all day pass. Skiing is still very popular there. To be fair, you can do off piste and tree skiing, but if you get lost or injured, they bill you for the rescue.
MSDOG
Expert

I agree. My kids want me to plan(and pay for) a trip to Jackson Hole with the grandkids like we did when they were growing up. We've been out there 15 times over the years. 3 kids and 10 grands now. I ran the numbers for a trip out there at today's prices and it would cost $30,000 dollars to do it today. No way to justify that.