The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Worst NC Season Ever?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
adm1n
Intermediate

Not CLOSE to the worst ski season ever. In fact, I'd bet Beech, App, Cataloochee and Sugar have all seen close to record skier visits for a season. NC resorts have seen 55-61" of snowfall with another month left. None of the ski areas have had to close ONE day this season - very unusual for the Southeast. We've really only had ONE washout weekend and perhaps 2.5 weekends that were not great. Christmas was pretty great, MLK was good.

All in all - not bad...and a far cry from the worst.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

It's definitely not the worst. Heck, Beech was closed this time last season. It's pretty amazing though how we can have 6 weeks or so of pretty stellar conditions and it all goes to crap in two weeks.

I was looking at some numbers and for the meteorological winter thus far (4 more days), Banner Elk is having their 19th warmest one out of 112 on record. So warmer than average, but not all time. Two years ago was worse (9th).

Beech has a station that goes back 28 years. So far this season has the 4th least amount of days where the minimum temperature got below freezing. Nights with snowmaking basically.

Looking at that graph above makes you realize how crappy the last 4 seasons have been. They all rank in the top 5 and probably are the 4 worst when you consider number one is missing almost a month's worth of data.
WOOOOOO!

jt3
Intermediate

All I know is I haven't gotten nearly the use out of my season pass as in years past. Last season was off for me too, but this year has just been too wet to be any fun on my free days. Glad to get to travel....
thracer
Beginner

I'll never forget one time in a Warren Miller film I saw the best description ever of skiing in the rain: "It's like standing in a cold shower tearing up $20 bills".
safeTmanEd
Beginner

It was a terrible season for poor Ober. I don't think they had even the bottom of Bear open more than a week or so. They did something I've never seen before! They opened half of Castle Run...you had to walk up to ride it.
"Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." -- Einstein
MSDOG
Expert

I agree with admin. Far from the worst season ever. I've skied Beech since 1975 and can remember several worse seasons. Went up there one time, before the internet and you could not look at cameras to check conditions, you could call a number and get the ski report, got up there and no snow. We never unpacked the ski gear trunk. Planed a trip up there spring break with kids and several of their friends sometime in the late 90's and they closed for the season the Thursday before we were heading up. Made quick arrangements and took the kids to Taos instead. And just about 5 or 6 years ago we went up, conditions were not very good, skied 1 night session and it was so icy, we left the next morning.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

Well...I have to disagree. I got 115 days on the snow and counting so if that constitutes a bad season then apparently I didn't get the memo. Everyone was open around Thanksgiving which is average, snowfall is average, and most resorts will have around 120 days of operation which is average.... Including hitting the three major holidays. Maybe my glass is just half full?... I have seen some bad ski seasons since we moved to Western NC in the early 90's. This definitely isn't one of them. Credit the GMs and Snowmakers for doing everything they can to make skiing in the Southeast a reality.
MSDOG
Expert

Dang, cb828, if you would have gone to Ober just once, you could have been the intellectual equivalent of kgwn.