The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Massanutten weekend crowds?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
marzski
Advanced

Conditions at Mnut are going to be amazing Feb. 2-3. Snow guns were turned off by lunch time on Friday. Temps over the weekend will be in the 40s with lows in the upper 20s.

Looked like locals were taking advantage of the School's Out deal on Friday. A lot of northern VA countries had a snow day.

In case anyone is wondering why I'm not making the drive . . . I'm flying to NM to ski Taos next week with friends. :D
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

davidski wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:29 pm I would quibble about the comparison to Wintergreen, lines at highland lift (1000' , 4.40 min, at wintergreen are never more than 2-3 minutes even when Blue Ridge is often 20 min. on weekends. And instruction is outstanding at Wintergreen, or Cataloochee, or Appalachian, etc... but..
Agree that there are great instructors at all the SE/MidA ski schools. But the terrain progression at Mnut is better than most other places for going from never-ever to advanced (bumps).

The issue at Wintergreen when I started checking it out was that I was with my daughter and she wasn't ready for Highlands yet. One time we brought her friend, who was definitely only good enough for easy blues. But they were young enough that I couldn't send them over to Acorn while I skied Highlands. If they needed help for any reason, it would take far too long to get from Highlands to Acron but I would've had to deal with the Blue Ridge lift line.

For a mixed ability group that includes kids, the layout at Mnut is far better. I was comfortable letting my daughter ski with just a friend as a tween on either Lift 5 as an intermediate, or Lifts 5 and 6 after she became an advanced skier (by age 10, at Alta).
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
davidski
Expert

True on all points... the fact that you have to literally work your way up to more advanced terrain is a great learning feature