The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

This weekend at Beech and Sugar

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
davidski
Expert

sir you have hit the great question.. is the reward worth the risk? and as a skier that question is only truly relevant at times like now, and it is rare in our neck of the woods that it is a question at all. But here we are, the risk reward factor is as high as it has been for a couple of years this weekend. This is the crux of it all
philipwicker
Beginner

Keep in mind that the temps are decent all week, and the 7 day forecast doesn't look all that bad for next weekend with some possible snow both Saturday and Sunday (despite some possible rain friday). If its too sketchy, or impossible to get there this weekend, there's always next weekend. Sure is nice having these kinds of challenges in the first week of December!
dreamnofpow
Expert

Might be a buzz kill, but most NC resorts will groom all the fresh snow. If it is a truly epic snow NC off piste skiing will be in effect. Go getcha sum!
DeafWhisperer
Beginner

Yes, I wasn't really looking for virgin powder due to the size of the ski areas down here. But that refreshing of new snow all day is what appeals to me!

I actually started looking ahead next week and thinking of dropping the plans for this weekend. Too many high-risk variables to consider.
DeafWhisperer
Beginner

Heading to the mountains in a few minutes! See ya there!
canadianbacon828
Beginner

dreamnofpow wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:59 am Might be a buzz kill, but most NC resorts will groom all the fresh snow. If it is a truly epic snow NC off piste skiing will be in effect. Go getcha sum!
The cat drivers at Beech are only doing a couple passes in the morning so should be a good time!
marzski
Advanced

Even OpenSnow mentioned the storm in NC. Hope there will be pictures sent to their email address. <hint, hint>

I bet the writer has no clue that Beech Mountain is over 5000 feet.

"Heavy snow will be falling over the mountains of western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee late Saturday through Sunday. There appear to be 4 resorts currently open. Sugar Mountain has 1300 vertical feet and is reporting a 59-inch summit base depth this morning (4 inches in the past few days). Appalachian Ski Mountain has a whopping 365 vertical feet with 25% of their advanced terrain open. Bring your fat skis as you might not be moving very fast by the time 10-20 inches of east coast pow has fallen through Sunday. If your there, send us pictures at [email protected]. "
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
Juice
Beginner

Wonder why beech doesn’t have the one quad running today? Not enough help so the decide to try out the other one?
canadianbacon828
Beginner

No they wanted to get lift 6 dialed before the holiday and today was a perfect opportunity with the high winds and cold weather. It takes the same amount of lift operators to run either 5 or 6 so your statement about not having enough help doesn't make sense. Man the snow was fun today. We got 22" at my house at Beech!
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

canadianbacon828 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:30 am No they wanted to get lift 6 dialed before the holiday and today was a perfect opportunity with the high winds and cold weather. It takes the same amount of lift operators to run either 5 or 6 so your statement about not having enough help doesn't make sense. Man the snow was fun today. We got 22" at my house at Beech!
So closing the main lift on the best powder day in years was the perfect opportunity? That makes no sense. I'm sure Lift 5 was fine, but I was on Lift 4 on Saturday and it was old Sugar lift slow. At this point in the season they really need to get both up and running to their potential.
WOOOOOO!