The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

This weekend at Beech and Sugar

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
skiing rules
Expert

Where are the trip reports? I wanted to come up this weekend and absolutely would have if not for my knee recovery not coming full circle yet. We need pics and video!!
Z06Bug
Beginner

Looking at the Sugar Mountain base cam, the lines this afternoon (Monday) look brutal. Can tell how it is/was at Beech by the webcam. Can anyone feedback about the situation there? I am heading up tomorrow and trying to figure out where I can go to spend more time skiing and less time in line.
thracer
Beginner

Z06Bug wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:48 pm Looking at the Sugar Mountain base cam, the lines this afternoon (Monday) look brutal.
I'm also wondering why Sugar does not have Big Red/Oma's open. Looks like enough natural snow and that would spread people out some more.
Juice
Beginner

Just got from beech. Probably the best skiing I have had in nc. The open d up Robbins run and lower part of white lighting this morning and none of it was grommed. Didn’t have lift 5 running again. I heard they were sending in a new computer board to fix issues. Obviously they don’t have enough help because they had a guy from the brewery running the lodge concessions and the guy in the rental shop had no idea how to get me a token for the locker. I figure they have a rough time on storms like this because it’s hard to get up there.
Juice
Beginner

canadianbacon828 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:30 am No they wanted to get lift 6 dialed before the holiday and today was a perfect opportunity with the high winds and cold weather. It takes the same amount of lift operators to run either 5 or 6 so your statement about not having enough help doesn't make sense. Man the snow was fun today. We got 22" at my house at Beech!
I was referimg to not having enough help to run both at the same time.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

theKENDOG wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:14 am
canadianbacon828 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:30 am No they wanted to get lift 6 dialed before the holiday and today was a perfect opportunity with the high winds and cold weather. It takes the same amount of lift operators to run either 5 or 6 so your statement about not having enough help doesn't make sense. Man the snow was fun today. We got 22" at my house at Beech!
So closing the main lift on the best powder day in years was the perfect opportunity? That makes no sense. I'm sure Lift 5 was fine, but I was on Lift 4 on Saturday and it was old Sugar lift slow. At this point in the season they really need to get both up and running to their potential.
Yes it makes total sense. 40 mph sustained winds, very cold, lots of snow. Perfect opportunity to get 6 dialed before the holidays. This point of the season is still very early. Lift 4 is a beginner lift so yes it is slow.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

Juice wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:27 pm Just got from beech. Probably the best skiing I have had in nc. The open d up Robbins run and lower part of white lighting this morning and none of it was grommed. Didn’t have lift 5 running again. I heard they were sending in a new computer board to fix issues. Obviously they don’t have enough help because they had a guy from the brewery running the lodge concessions and the guy in the rental shop had no idea how to get me a token for the locker. I figure they have a rough time on storms like this because it’s hard to get up there.

Will Young runs all of food and beverage so it's kind of his job...Good friend of mine and he and Zach are doing an awesome job, the food is soooo much better! Not sure where you got the info that a "board needs to be replaced" but it's bad intel. They want to spend more time getting to know lift 6 and this is the perfect time to do it. They made a significant investment on it and intend to utilize it a lot more than the old 6 lift. Management intentionally left most everything un-groomed so we could all enjoy it. Rad!
canadianbacon828
Beginner

Juice wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:36 pm
I was referimg to not having enough help to run both at the same time.
They aren't at the point in the season yet to run both simultaneously. Plus not all of the J1 foreign exchange program students have arrived yet. Lot's of South Africans this year. Talked to several of them that work in the lodge, pretty cool program.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

thracer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:05 pm
Z06Bug wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:48 pm Looking at the Sugar Mountain base cam, the lines this afternoon (Monday) look brutal.
I'm also wondering why Sugar does not have Big Red/Oma's open. Looks like enough natural snow and that would spread people out some more.
They were focusing on GW and Tubing along with Flying Mile and Birch. Natural snow is a lot different than man-made. They want man-made snow for base longevity.