The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

This weekend at Beech and Sugar

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
DeafWhisperer
Beginner

I'm not a newbie in winter driving (from Michigan). However, I haven't driven NC mountains in a big snow storm so I don't know what to expect. I'll be driving a truck with AWD from Raliegh. I am tempted to head up there for an overnight stay for two days of skiing at Beech and Sugar. My thought is to go Beech the first day because of the drive to the top. Then the second day at Sugar. The lodging location is in Boone. Sounds reasonable?

My other concern is how many trails will they open up for this weekend. Right now, I'm not sure I would commit based on the trails they have open. Is it a realistic expectation of more trail openings by the time I hit the slope Saturday?
jt3
Intermediate

With AWD you shouldn't have any issues getting up the road at Beech. It will be plowed/treated at some point. I doubt this will be the heaviest storm ever, but all the roads will be passable if you drive sensibly in winter conditions. Boone to either will be about a 35 min drive for you, so plan accordingly.

i wouldn't expect many other trails open. the terrain that open now probably wouldnt change much unless they start making snow on the other runs. Its not happening yet, and the temps would support it. Just go ski or ride based on whats available. It will be fine, don't over think things.

The few days Ive been on the snow at sugar so far have been fun. Ive had no issue doing top to bottom laps for hours. Get on it!
canadianbacon828
Beginner

In general the DOT, and public works at Sugar and Beech do a good job with road maintenance. That said, the slickest parts will be what we call Food Lion Hill by the Food Lion shopping center on hwy 184 in Banner Elk just before Sugar (local pro tip if it's slick: on 184 hang a left onto Grouse Moor then immediately right onto Crosspark before you get to the shopping center. Then a left of you want to go to Sugar or right back up to 184 and a left if you want to go to Beech), and "Foscoe Hill" on 105 just passed Seven Devils. Rock Crusher hill just outside Boone on the Foscoe side also gets pretty slick. The worst part of Beech is right in front of town hall where it is flat luckily.

As for terrain: Sugar and Beech will have plenty open to justify the trip. Beech is working on their Terrain Park and Tubing and Sugar is working on Gunther's Way and Big Birch as far as snowmaking goes. Sugar is currently open for nights and Beech isn't yet but should be very soon. They like to wait until they can offer more amentities to open at night. Sugarfest is this weekend which is always a good time and Beech has a rail jam Saturday. Bottom line is it's going to be a great weekend on the slopes and you can't go wrong with either place. Local pro tip #2: get on the hill early before the crowds, both resorts have state of the art Doppelmayr lifts so you can make plenty of laps while people are still in the ticket lines. Enjoy!
jt3
Intermediate

WXbrad is saying there is a chance of mother of all winter storms. so, go and post up! gonna be fun at some point!
davidski
Expert

Hey DeafWhisperer, welcome to the board!!

I think it is so great that folks are posting . This messageboard can be a great resource. This weekend looks so good, and I haven't looked at Brads forecast yet
Aasnider
Beginner

We will see how everything plays out, but I'm thinking I'll do a day trip up from Greensboro on Monday. Either Sugar or Beech, we will decide when driving through. 4x4 Suburban with chains should get me there (hopefully)! Anyone else thinking they will be around?
Juice
Beginner

I’m gonna try and make it to beech Monday. I come up 181 so we will see how that goes.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

4x4 and chains should be fine. Juice-181 is usually decent until Jonas Ridge. Sometimes it gets sketchy from Christa's store to Linville.
grinderstation
Beginner

Cat/wolf seem to have very, very different forecasts from Beech/Sugar right now. Thinking very hard about getting into Beech later saturday with a view to sunday. Looks like getting out sunday will be a bitch tho -
DeafWhisperer
Beginner

Thanks to all for your input! Davidski, thanks for welcoming me to the board! :-)

I booked a motel just off of 105 and outside of Boone. I can get there on Saturday afternoon. But I still have to drive 12 miles to Sugar Sunday morning. I decided to ski only one day with my kids.

I see this in the NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE Winter Watch:
Travel could be very difficult to
impossible. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning
commute. Power outages may occur.

That was what I was afraid of. I'm all for skiing. I'm willing to take a chance and lots of slow driving. But if I chicken out, I can back out Friday night to cancel the lodging. I'll keep monitoring the weather forecast.

BTW, I think Monday is the best choice but I don't have that option.