This weekend at Beech and Sugar

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
DeafWhisperer
Beginner

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Thanks to all for your input! Davidski, thanks for welcoming me to the board! :-)

I booked a motel just off of 105 and outside of Boone. I can get there on Saturday afternoon. But I still have to drive 12 miles to Sugar Sunday morning. I decided to ski only one day with my kids.

I see this in the NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE Winter Watch:
Travel could be very difficult to
impossible. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning
commute. Power outages may occur.

That was what I was afraid of. I'm all for skiing. I'm willing to take a chance and lots of slow driving. But if I chicken out, I can back out Friday night to cancel the lodging. I'll keep monitoring the weather forecast.

BTW, I think Monday is the best choice but I don't have that option.
davidski
Expert

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:46 pm

sir you have hit the great question.. is the reward worth the risk? and as a skier that question is only truly relevant at times like now, and it is rare in our neck of the woods that it is a question at all. But here we are, the risk reward factor is as high as it has been for a couple of years this weekend. This is the crux of it all
philipwicker
Beginner

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:35 am

Keep in mind that the temps are decent all week, and the 7 day forecast doesn't look all that bad for next weekend with some possible snow both Saturday and Sunday (despite some possible rain friday). If its too sketchy, or impossible to get there this weekend, there's always next weekend. Sure is nice having these kinds of challenges in the first week of December!
dreamnofpow
Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:59 am

Might be a buzz kill, but most NC resorts will groom all the fresh snow. If it is a truly epic snow NC off piste skiing will be in effect. Go getcha sum!
killglobalwarmingnow
Advanced

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:14 am

dreamnofpow wrote:
Might be a buzz kill, but most NC resorts will groom all the fresh snow. If it is a truly epic snow NC off piste skiing will be in effect. Go getcha sum!
This is mostly true - but... I have been to Sugar when it dumped overnight, Gunther spun the lifts early, whoopdeedoo tom terrific and down that side were not groomed, I got like 4 runs in on mostly untracked 8" of powder include whoopdeedoo.

Plus, Sunday is going to be refreshing all day - that's the best situation.
DeafWhisperer
Beginner

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:53 am

Yes, I wasn't really looking for virgin powder due to the size of the ski areas down here. But that refreshing of new snow all day is what appeals to me!

I actually started looking ahead next week and thinking of dropping the plans for this weekend. Too many high-risk variables to consider.
DeafWhisperer
Beginner

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:10 pm

Heading to the mountains in a few minutes! See ya there!
canadianbacon828
Beginner

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:47 pm

dreamnofpow wrote:
The cat drivers at Beech are only doing a couple passes in the morning so should be a good time!
marzski
Advanced

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:45 am

Even OpenSnow mentioned the storm in NC. Hope there will be pictures sent to their email address. <hint, hint>

I bet the writer has no clue that Beech Mountain is over 5000 feet.

"Heavy snow will be falling over the mountains of western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee late Saturday through Sunday. There appear to be 4 resorts currently open. Sugar Mountain has 1300 vertical feet and is reporting a 59-inch summit base depth this morning (4 inches in the past few days). Appalachian Ski Mountain has a whopping 365 vertical feet with 25% of their advanced terrain open. Bring your fat skis as you might not be moving very fast by the time 10-20 inches of east coast pow has fallen through Sunday. If your there, send us pictures at [email protected]. "
2018-19 Plans: Massanutten; NH/ME in early Dec, Taos, Big Sky, NE in early March, Alta in April
Juice
Beginner

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Wonder why beech doesn’t have the one quad running today? Not enough help so the decide to try out the other one?