The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Driving conditions

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
vanelli56
Beginner

Well, its been a long time since I have been up to the NC high country to go snowboarding. I was hoping to get some advice from some locals. I'm keeping an eye on the potential weather this coming weekend, and if it turns into a mainly snow event around Sugar / Beech Etc... was thinking about making a day trip up there on monday. It looks like the worst of the weather will be Sat and sunday... with some lingering precip monday. My question is this.... I no longer have a 4-wheel drive vehicle... how quick are they to get the roads cleared for travel from the south. (Coming from South Carolina)
If things lighten up sunday afternoon.... would travel up there early monday be advisable?

Any thoughts, tips, or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
davidski
Expert

Hard to say yet, this forecast is projecting some ridiculous possible snow totals.... keep an eye out for Brad's Forecast video, should drop on the main page soon I hope

I will say that the Beech Mountain Parkway is one of the worst drives I make some winters, something about the steepness of the switch backs (to say nothing of church vans)
vanelli56
Beginner

davidski wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:35 pm Hard to say yet, this forecast is projecting some ridiculous possible snow totals.... keep an eye out for Brad's Forecast video, should drop on the main page soon I hope

I will say that the Beech Mountain Parkway is one of the worst drives I make some winters, something about the steepness of the switch backs (to say nothing of church vans)
True.
I was thinking Sugar might be the safer option.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

With a snow event like the one they are predicting you are asking for trouble without a 4 wheel drive. Not worth the risk, plus you could create issues for us locals trying to get to work.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

davidski wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:35 pm Hard to say yet, this forecast is projecting some ridiculous possible snow totals.... keep an eye out for Brad's Forecast video, should drop on the main page soon I hope

The sketchiest place when it's really bad is by far Food Lion hill on 194... Nothing like cars sliding down the hill with all brakes locked in the opposite lane. Bonus points for 2wd Suburbans and other wastes of metal. Beech can get sketchy but the county and town are more on top of it then Banner Elk to Tynecastle imo.
grinderstation
Beginner

Some good advice in this thread. The ONLY way I'd consider it w/o 4wd or chains is getting up on top of beech mountain, or VERY close to sugar, by 12:00 PM sat, and being very flexible about when I leave. with more than 3 inches on the ground I'd be very nervous in anything without chains or 4WD. Ice is a huge factor in these mountains.

And you need to go very, very slow.

just my $.02
vanelli56
Beginner

Thanks all for the advise... The later in the week it gets... the worst the forecast gets.

The hope was to hopefully get up there after the storm and once they get roads in decent shape.... but the amount of precip they are calling for, looks like it might be TOO much trouble getting there and back with in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks again.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

We also unexpectedly got 4" of snow today and it's still snowing.
skipink
Expert

If you don't have chains or 4WD do not attempt Beech Mt Pkwy, especially if the lights are flashing at the sign stating chains and 4WD. If you get stuck you not only have to pay the towing fees but may get fined as well.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."