The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Beech Mountain 11/17

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
davidski
Expert

Wonder if its a water and or power issue? Hopefully tonight it can be all guns blazing ---forecast for this weekend gets more interesting everytime I look, interesting in a really GOOD way!
canadianbacon828
Beginner

Say what??? They started making in the early hours before sunrise and have been making good snow all day. Snow was really good this morning and most guns were on. They have started making on tubing and they have that Recess rail jam scheduled for the weekend so they are making in the park. Not sure where you are getting "a water or power issue"? They dredged the pond over the summer and we haven't had any power issues at my condo in Holliday Villas.
davidski
Expert

I didn't mean I have any knowledge of issues, I ask about it to find out from someone like yourself who's close enough to know first hand. Very often resorts will only run half their guns if they do have those issues.

I just checked again and same as everytime I've looked since this morning, the bottom guns are blasting but the ones visible from the summit cam are not running at all. Just curious

Ihave a lot of weather and webcam tabs running, I might personally be causing a power issue. What a crazy forecast for Sat and Sun, I'm supposed to go to CO mon but if beech gets 20 in. maybe not, re. the adage "never leave powder to find powder" This storm track is way more favorable for NC than WV it appears which makes for a change
canadianbacon828
Beginner

I know right?! 20" I'm cautiously optimistic! To answer your question with the exception of App Sugar and Beech don't have the capacity to run everything at once. Upper Shawneehaw is well covered so they decided to focus efforts elsewhere given the forecast. Same at Sugar. They haven't started on Oma's or GW yet because they wanted to focus on Easy Street and Flying Mile as well as tubing. Tubing is a huge cash cow on weekends and holidays. Heading to Sugar now, bet the snow is good!
Juice
Beginner

I was at beech this past Sunday and I overheard one of the guys who worked there saying the town was running low on water.
canadianbacon828
Beginner

Juice wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:54 am I was at beech this past Sunday and I overheard one of the guys who worked there saying the town was running low on water.
You only heard half the story, not even. Here are the facts:

Beech Mtn Resort has it's own water supply for snowmaking.

Yes the town was low on water. Here are the facts:
-There was a faulty valve in Buckeye lake that has been problematic for some time. A diver and maintenance crew attempted to repair the valve...unsuccessfully. The diver was on umbilical so luckily when he was trapped in a vacuum for several hours he at least had a reliable air supply. Long story short several rescue agencies were dispatched to free him. He was under water for several hours. He was 20ft down and had to decompress due to the altitude. He is doing well and is expected to make a full recovery. The valve was repaired last week and the water shortage lasted for 72 hours. We are no longer under a water restriction.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/di ... 16019.html
TSI
Beginner

Thursday snow was good only lift running was number 4 though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
18/19
Beech Mtn 1
canadianbacon828
Beginner

Lift 5 has been running since last Friday. We got 4" of bonus snow today and counting! Conditions were prime!
almost good
Beginner

Who has ridden the new lift? How is it? On the webcam it does not appear to be as fast as Sugar's. I guess it can't be since it's not a detachable.
Juice
Beginner

I was there Sunday. It’s definitely not as fast as sugar but it can’t be seeing it’s a fixed grip. They said it’s not running as fast as it should be because the conveyer at the loading isn’t synced up with the chairs so it running a little slower but it seemed fine to me. It will be nice when they are running the other new one too.