The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Big Sky or Whistler

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
skimannc1
Beginner

I'm trying to plan a ski trip in Feb. and wanting to try somewhere different. I've been skiing mostly at Alta, Snowbird, Jackson and Grand Targhee the last several trips. I'm trying to decide between Big Sky or Whistler or anywhere else if you can convince me. I don't mind driving from place to place if there are several places good in an area like Salt Lake/Jackson (I know some think that's too far apart but I've done that every time). I plan to ski 5 days if travel allows it. I've usually flown out late Wed. and ski Thursday-Monday and fly out late Monday night on a red eye and be back early Tuesday to go to work. I typically stay at places like Motel 6 or the cheapest place I can find. I don't care about the after ski scene as I just care about great skiing.

Any help is appreciated!!!!
ShredPirateRoberts
Beginner

I'd recommend Big Sky. It's higher elevation and draws fewer crowds.

Whistler is good but, remember the 2010 Winter Olympics? It was El Nino weather pattern (so is this winter) and the lower elevations of Whistler were affected by above average temps.

I would recommend any resorts in the Rocky's. If you haven't skied or rode Keystone and Arapahoe Basin. Both are a few miles apart in Summit county CO. Both are on a discounted version of the epic pass. The areas is pretty affordable as for lodging and dining.
“The best place in the world to ski is where you’re skiing that day.” - Warren Miller
Nashville TN
skigeorgia
Beginner

ShredPirateRoberts wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:38 pm I'd recommend Big Sky. It's higher elevation and draws fewer crowds.

Whistler is good but, remember the 2010 Winter Olympics? It was El Nino weather pattern (so is this winter) and the lower elevations of Whistler were affected by above average temps.

I would recommend any resorts in the Rocky's. If you haven't skied or rode Keystone and Arapahoe Basin. Both are a few miles apart in Summit county CO. Both are on a discounted version of the epic pass. The areas is pretty affordable as for lodging and dining.
I completely agree with this. I'll also throw something out there, Snowshoe is on the Ikon pass so if you plan on going up there at all/already have it, I recommend buying it and taking your ski vacation up to Banff and ski Sunshine/Lake Louise/Norquay since they're also on the pass. If you decide to do that, also set aside a day to drive about an hour west to Kicking Horse. Best snow quality I've ever skied plus the most challenging terrain I've ever seen. Can't beat it
davidski
Expert

Go to Red mountain and Whitewater
swamphox
Expert

Flights would be cheaper to big sky if nothing else. I hope youre going for a week or more. Theyre both gigantic
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
marzski
Advanced

skimannc1 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:52 pm I'm trying to plan a ski trip in Feb. and wanting to try somewhere different. I've been skiing mostly at Alta, Snowbird, Jackson and Grand Targhee the last several trips. I'm trying to decide between Big Sky or Whistler or anywhere else if you can convince me. I don't mind driving from place to place if there are several places good in an area like Salt Lake/Jackson (I know some think that's too far apart but I've done that every time). I plan to ski 5 days if travel allows it. I've usually flown out late Wed. and ski Thursday-Monday and fly out late Monday night on a red eye and be back early Tuesday to go to work. I typically stay at places like Motel 6 or the cheapest place I can find. I don't care about the after ski scene as I just care about great skiing.

Any help is appreciated!!!!
For what it's worth, I have yet to decide it's worth the extra flight time to go to Whistler. I'm headed back to Big Sky for the third time in late Feb. Flying into SLC and driving to MT, which I've done before. My ski buddy and I may stop at GT on the way, but may go check out Discovery. But I'm retired and my ski trips are 10-14 days these days. Plenty of skiing at Big Sky for 5 days, but you won't find lodging in the Motel 6 price category. Closest motels are about an hour away. Buck's T4 is about as cheap as it gets. They have a free shuttle for skiing and a restaurant in the building.

Note that Bridger is 20 min from Bozeman. 2000 acres, so not exactly small. It's a non-profit so lift tickets are relatively reasonable. The Ridge is for experts only. A trip with 3 days skiing Bridger and 2 at Big Sky could be pretty fun.

You might take a look at the Pugski Gathering thread for Big Sky. The dates are Feb. 24 to March 2, but people will arrive early and stay after. There is a deal for lodging. The way Gatherings are organized, there will be free guiding for advanced/expert skiers by folks who know the mountain very well.

If the snow keeps up at Taos, it's worth considering. Fly to Albuquerque on SW, take the shuttle to the town of Taos, stay in a motel, take the free bus to TSV for skiing. Some people think the most challenging terrain at Taos is more challenging than the in-bounds terrain at JH. I know the double-blacks at TSV are steeper and require more skill than at Snowbird.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

Flying into Billings can be less expensive. The drive to Bozeman isn't that long. But there is the risk of a snowstorm making it a bit harder to cross the pass into Bozeman.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
porter
Advanced

If you like to stay in Motel 6 then you definitely do not want to go to Whistler. There are some OK deals if you go early season, but for the most part you are looking at a lot of money to stay, and even more to eat. If you go to Big Sky you could stay in the Whitewater Lodge or at a really cheap place in Bozeman, where you can also get cheap food.

That said, if you wanted to tack on extra days there are four smaller hills outside Vancouver where you could day ski.
wilks
Beginner

Went to Red Mountain last year and I'm headed back again this year if that says anything. Also driving from there to Whitefish. I'd recommend both - especially if you're after nothing but great conditions. Whistler is great during the week, but weekend crowds are no fun.

I'm planning a side trip to Whitewater this year while I'm staying at Red, I'll keep you posted.

Edit: I saw a vote for Kicking Horse. I would recommend it as well, long drive, but totally worth it. My profile photo is from there.
Juice
Beginner

I went to big sky in March and loved it. If I win the lottery I’m moving there.