The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Any Toddler Ski Tips?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Paul
Beginner

We are hoping to introduce our 2 1/2 year old to skiing this winter. Any tips on gear or the best way to get him started? He had a lot of fun playing in the snow last winter at the slopes, but we just did some basic sledding with him.

I believe he's too young for any of the ski schools. Haven't confirmed yet, but would guess the rental places wouldn't have gear his size.

Luke Snow Bike 011818.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NMSki
Beginner

There are some great youtube videos out of Level 9 sports at Mt Hood. I thought the original videos from 2012 were very helpful, but looks like they have updated them in 2017.

I think the tip clips to teach showplow were great, better than the backpack with the straps. That was more helpful to help the kiddos on the chairlift as it had a handle.
The number one thing is patience on your part. Would only plan a few hours (maybe half day tops to start). Plenty of snacks and bribery with bars, cookies and hot chocolate.
In Asheville, Ski Country sports has great seasonal ski rental gear for ~$100. The great thing is if the kiddo has a growth spurt, can swap out mid season. Also saves the hassle of renting gear each time. If you go more than 3-4 times it is totally worth it. Don't know if you have a local store that does something similar...
Paul
Beginner

Great tips! Thank you, NMSki!
L Bear
Beginner

Yes. Patience. Snacks. Throwing snowballs. Penguin slides. It's all about creating the link of skiing/boarding = fun.
boredtoo
Beginner

I was in Copper a few years ago when my friend's son was 3, and the ski school did have a program for them. They have some really patient and friendly people working there. Equipment was included as part of the price.
Paul wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:20 am I believe he's too young for any of the ski schools. Haven't confirmed yet, but would guess the rental places wouldn't have gear his size.
skimannc1
Beginner

Not sure if Appalachian has an age limit but I highly recommend them for a half day or all day ski school. They were wonderful last year with my daughter and it allows you to watch and also ski on your own as well.
davidski
Expert

I can't offer good experience on this, my sons were much older .when I took them the first time; but I think you are so smart to start your child this soon. Swamp who regularly posts started his son very young and they have a great time. JBC who never posts anymore started his child in that 2-3 year range, when I am out west at places like A-Basin, there is a huge cadre of parents with pre kindergarten kids.

Go for it!
Paul
Beginner

Awesome. Thank you, everyone!
swamphox
Expert

A someone who did this recently:
1. go really early season and really late season half mountain open days. These days are about them. They dont know conditions arent great. Lift tix for u will be half price

2. Positive reinforcement. Build off however well they did on the previous run. I prefer starbursts over skittles. Less messy.

3. The days with them arent about you. Theyre about them. Remember that. This is where less than optimal conditions days become a benefit for u as well.

4. They may just wanna go down a hill once, karate chop icicles and go home after an hour. Be prepared to spend more time driving to the resort than skiing.

5. Most places in nc are free to young kids. Start them young and they can hit blacks at app for free when theyre 5.

6. Cats all day program was great. They had tablets and coccoa inside if they got tired of skiing and otherwise just taught/skied with them. Lunch was included. Id usually check mine out early so i could see what hed learned.

7. At this age leave before they want to leave. You want them to want more and to ask when youre doing it again

8. As they said above: patienece. Keep your head. Dont fuss. If its not fun then its work. If its work you could be getting paid at your job and they could be at preschool.

9. Its one of the most rewarding things i have ever done in my life. Once they can handle themselves on any of the runs you actually like going on just let them pick and enjoy life. This is probably 2 seasons off minimum tho.

10. I have some old trip reports on here that i can pm u if u want and will give u an idea of the progression from season to season.

11. Buying gear isnt that expensive. Hes been on the same set of skis since he was 5. New boots each season have been 30 to 40 bucks on ebay.

12. Remember the goober factor. I dont mind my son skiing around kids that are bad skiers. I dont mind him around teens and adults that are good. Its the adults and teens that arent good that scare me. Weekends before 11 am are good. Night sessions are usually a 50-50 shot. Weekdays are always good. Holidays are bad. Look for piles of teenage girls falling and giggling. Look for real tree and blue jeans. ive taught my kid to spot when people are are bad or look like they might be and he steers clear.

13. Late season days are good for learning. Easpecially those days in the 60s and 70s. Its warm. Slush is soft. You cant get speed up on it. Not much ice. Very forgiving conditions when u are learning if u dont mind getting a little wet.

14. One of my coworkers took his 3 yr old daughter to breckenridge and raved about how great it was for her.

Good luck to you sir. Post a tr of your experiences.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
Paul
Beginner

Thank you very much, Swamphox! Those are some greats tips!