The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Books

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Something to pass the summer by. Post a comment if you've read anything on this list....

10 Books
Bultaco
Beginner

If you haven't already read it, find a copy of Southern Snow. Been out of print for a while but copies are out there
Dracan6
Expert
Tagline: Ready, set, see ya'!

Squallywood for sure! Book never gets old, I picked it up as a teen skiing at Squal Vally, have read it over 20x through the years. Great little book and has the GNAR rules in the back too. :geek:

17-18 Just a wk at Breck. "Got Oxegen?" Is real!
swamphox
Expert

Proud owner of squallywood and freedom found

My son and I play a watered down version of GNAR but weve done plenty of ego claims, fart claims, callouts (to kids older than him) and a couple of call your moms and pole whacks. Next yr we plan on getting in a cook brekkie as well.

Of course this probably makes us look like jerks to the majority of people he does call outs to but one day someone will understand and find it hilarious:)
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
davidski
Expert

Books indeed, some good suggestions, and reading! there's a thing

I have Southern Snow, a great resource for our area. Most of my other books are things like Tremper and stuff on avalanche sense and backcountry skills. As If I can learn that from a book, but no more absurd than thinking your technique may be improved by careful study; and millions of words in thousands of articles have swirled down that rabbit hole.

The best thing about the books on that list is how many remind us of the freedom and extraordinary fun of skiing
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

davidski wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:19 pm The best thing about the books on that list is how many remind us of the freedom and extraordinary fun of skiing
I'm a few chapters into "White Planet". Very much about freedom & fun across the decades with some history nicely blended in.... and the author's style parallels yours.