The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Ski Beech Quad Demo

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

sts9shredder wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:44 am FIXED GRIP? Come on..... I know it's not that far of a trip to the summit but it seems like we are going backwards in time here.. I used to like Beech better than Sugar even though Sugar has better runs but Sugar is adding better lifts, better runs (Gunther's is the only run in NC that feels like something in CO), and their snowmaking is agressive.
Yeah I think they are expecting some blow back on that. Pretty sure the wait on one of those is a few years though. Obviously a detachable would have been better, but two fixed grips probably has a higher uphill capacity than one high speed. It will split the lift lines up too. I'll take it.
WOOOOOO!

davidski
Expert

Hard not to agree with sts9shredder, although if the conveyor system allows them to actually keep the ride to 6 1/2 minutes that may be about the same as the old lift which was definately the slowest high speed I have EVER ridden on. What is the difference in cost of a high speed compared to fixed? probably huge

I also have to say unfortunately that despite the conveyor the lower lift at Mass. is really slow, but it shouldn't have to be, use of conveyors out west really increases their fixed grip lift speeds.
johnmelton
Beginner

uphill capacities are similar for fixed and detachable chairlifts when run at designed speed except for stops due to loading fails which hurts fixed lifts more. The good thing about fixed lifts is they have about twice as many chairs, or in Beech's case three times as many as the old high speed quad, which removes more riders from the slopes when they are on the lift. When Beech first got there high speed quad it ran much faster and held more chairs, but it has exceeded the normal life span for a high speed lift. Back in the eighties when it was new there was an operator that would run it at full normal speed during night sessions, about 11 mph and 3.5 minutes, it was exciting to ride it that fast. The last time I rode it about five years ago it was running at 7 mph and took about 5 minutes. A normal fixed chairlift servicing novice terrain runs at about 3.5 mph, expert terrain fixed lifts run at 5 to 5.5 mph. If anyone is fascinated about chairlifts like me check out the site liftblog.com, and this story is the headline for today. According to them, "This marks only the second time in North American history that a fixed-grip chairlift will replace a detachable one, though the trend may continue".
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

johnmelton wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:02 am If anyone is fascinated about chairlifts like me check out the site liftblog.com, and this story is the headline for today. According to them, "This marks only the second time in North American history that a fixed-grip chairlift will replace a detachable one, though the trend may continue".
Cool site, been a few years since I've looked it over. Lets hope those digital displays don't catch on. The lift chair is one reaming place people don't have their nose in a screen so more often than not casual conversation can happen. I'm a techie but enough already.
marzski
Advanced

davidski wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:18 am Hard not to agree with sts9shredder, although if the conveyor system allows them to actually keep the ride to 6 1/2 minutes that may be about the same as the old lift which was definately the slowest high speed I have EVER ridden on. What is the difference in cost of a high speed compared to fixed? probably huge

I also have to say unfortunately that despite the conveyor the lower lift at Mass. is really slow, but it shouldn't have to be, use of conveyors out west really increases their fixed grip lift speeds.
The long lift from the base at Mnut is relatively old. Lift 4 above Southern Comfort still a lot better with conveyor loading compared to before that was added. Used to stop 2-3 times every time I rode that lift because of beginners messing up loading. And had to be slowed down a lot more often.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
dreamnofpow
Expert

Great news for Beech. Anyone know what lift they will use for Mountain Biking this year?
yardsale
Expert

dreamnofpow wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 pm Great news for Beech. Anyone know what lift they will use for Mountain Biking this year?
They're going to market it as enduro instead of downhill. You'll have to pedal to the top
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
Old Fart
Beginner

dreamnofpow wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 pm Great news for Beech. Anyone know what lift they will use for Mountain Biking this year?
yardsale
Expert

just seen they were hiring shuttle drivers for the summer season lol
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek: