The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Big sky Montana

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Juice
Beginner

I’m heading out to big sky in a couple weeks. I have never been there and wondering if the ones that have been had any advice. Looks like I choose the right place this year since the Colorado resorts aren’t doing as good as last year. I can ski anything around here and do most everything out west except the big mogul runs or step colliers.
Juice
Beginner

I know some of you said earlier in the year you have been to big sky. Nobody had any advice?
porter
Advanced

Don't blindly follow a bootpack or random line into the trees without a good degree of caution. Big Sky -- particularly the old Moonlight side -- has what I would call legitimately terrifying ski terrain, and a good number of A-list locals who ski it all rather nonchalantly. At the same time, don't be scared off of skiing what you want just because people are talking about how tough they think it is. Lots of big talkers there.

Sounds silly, but I'd recommend going over the trail map each night to record what you've skied -- there's a lot of terrain there.

I'd recommend knocking off early one day and shooting down to West for a sunset XC tour.

If you can arrange it, it's really worthwhile to ski a day at Bridger.
Juice
Beginner

Is the moonlight side worth going to or should I spend my time mostly on the big sky side? I only have 3 days to ski so I don’t want to waste a lot of time. How steep is the liberty bowl coming off the top. Looks like if I decide to go to the top that will be the route I need to take back down.
porter
Advanced

Liberty is normal steep. Not sure how it falls into the skill set you described above, but it's normal expert terrain for Montana, with a few extra points for being above treeline. Could for sure have moguls on it if there has not been new snow for a while, and could be hard packed in strong winds, too.

I like Moonlight for its endlessly long cruisers. That's also the side you can get to Headwaters from.
marzski
Advanced

With good coverage like they have this year, Liberty is a solid black run, not a western double-black. It's really, really long. So be prepared to leave enough time to work your way down. Check the trail map for the south face. At the bottom, if you go right then there is more skiing with plenty of tree options to get to the Dakota lift. If you are ready to head back to the main base, then head skier's left towards Shedhorn. The Shoehorn Grill is in a yurt and a fun place for a snack or light lunch.

The tip I got from the free mountain host tour was to check out the South Wall first. That's on the far side of the Turkey Shoot traverse in the Lone Peak Bowl, off the relatively new Powder Seeker 6-pack. If the South Wall is fun, then Liberty will be fun too. If the South Wall is scary for whatever reason, then ride up the tram for the view with poles only.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

Juice wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:06 pm I’m heading out to big sky in a couple weeks. I have never been there and wondering if the ones that have been had any advice. Looks like I choose the right place this year since the Colorado resorts aren’t doing as good as last year. I can ski anything around here and do most everything out west except the big mogul runs or step colliers.
What is the longest bumped up run you have done in the Rockies? What do you consider a "big mogul"?

Big Sky is huge. Getting from the base of Andesite over to Moonlight or vice-versa takes 30 minutes when you know exactly where to go. So makes more sense to stay in one area for while before moving elsewhere. There is challenging terrain if you like trees or bumps off pretty much any of the main lifts that don't serve lodging. The glades on Andesite are good fun if tight trees are not of interest.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.