The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Colorado for Spring Break

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Hi.. My name is 2slik... and...I have a powder addiction. Yes yes it's true and it is :cry: something I have struggled with this season. With friends blowing out knees on bad snow and un fulfilled terrain abounding in Utah...I have decided to get my medication in CO this year. I hear you just walk in.
Help a brother out. While I may know Utah like a mama knows her ugly child... I don't know squat about doing CO cheaply. Staying in Frisco or Silverthorn with 3 other adults. Any lift deals out there this year? ABasin, Loveland, Breck,Keystone are all in play as it's a short trip. First week of March.
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
resolutejb
Beginner

If I were you I would skip Colorado altogether this year (too close to UT in snow conditions..) - they have had a few good dumps here and there, but unless you can plan to leave at the last minute, go north! The northern (Canadian or Montana) Rockies are where it is this year - the places further south aren't doing consistently great.

I just went to B.C. and Alberta (Kicking Horse and Sunshine) this past weekend and it was awesome deep powder. Went to Colorado in Early to Mid Jan and it was OK only because I hit a storm there, but it still is pretty low tide all around - but at least better then than Aspen on Thanksgiving where all we had was artificial stuff this season. Hit LAke Tahoe at end of January and got lucky again in that it coincided with a storm which made it nice for about 3 days but it's high and dry there again now.. IF you can get to the northern Cascades or Rockies, it will be much better..

There are surprising cheap airfares into Calgary (YYC) as well, and you get that nice automatic 20% discount on everything with the Canadian $.. That area is where I think I will focus the remainder of this season's effort and trips personally...

(Just re-read your post and seems like you may already have a done deal to go to CO - if so, there are PLENTY of places around Frisco to stay - from cheap motels to everything on up.. - probably won't be too hard to find whatever you want this year.._) - or what I have done on occasion is just stay in Golden at the bottom of I-70 and drive up early in the morning - you got all the national chains there for pretty cheap too and it's not a bad drive if the road is clear and you don't come or go at peak traffic time (fri night or Sun night) - good luck and have fun!
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

College kids for spring break trip.. so not a major ski 7 days all day trip. I'm smart enough not to go hard this year. Oh well.
Was hoping they had a deal on tickets since it had bad snow season this year.
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
skigeorgia
Beginner

I live in Boulder, Colorado so I know a thing or two about the skiing and ski deals up there. Silverthorne/Frisco/Dillion is a fantastic place to stay as Keystone, Breck, Loveland, Copper, and Arapahoe Basin are pretty much all under 20 minute drives away. You won't find any crazy deals on lift tickets because well the snow is actually GOOD now. A-Basin is at 107% of average I believe. The rest are more like at 90-95 of average snow so it's not bad at all. Plus March is the snowiest time of year for the I-70 ski areas. I'd rank the one's you're close to as 1. A-BASIN 2. Copper 3. Keystone 4. Breck 5. Loveland. Copper and Keystone are GREAT choices but they're ridiculously expensive. I highly recommend A-Basin and they're about 95% open right now with only some insane terrain closed because of avalanche mitigation. Arapahoe is the smallest in the area (1300+ acres) but they call the place The Legend for a reason. 350 inches of snow per year (around 210 so far) and it's just about skiing, there's not huge corporate influence here and you'll meet some really cool locals and get to ski the best terrain in Colorado. Not to mention you can buy at three day pass at Arapahoe Basin for $169 for an adult. Can't beat that deal.
dj
Advanced

A-basin & Loveland are both awesome. They don't have a resort vibe, more of a enormous version of Cataloochee or App kinda vibe. We were there several years ago and had a great long weekend.
marzski
Advanced

Been dumping at Alta/Snowbird the last week or two. ;-)

A-Basin and Loveland are good fun midweek. Be prepared for the high altitude. Only day I skied at A-Basin was after a week staying in Denver. Still felt obviously higher than any place in Utah. Skiing at over 10K is different. Found that at Telluride last weekend even after a week at Taos skiing mostly 9500-10,500 feet.

Check the Liftopia prices for Copper.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.