The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Is this the beginning of the end?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Old Fart
Beginner

Wolf just posted on FB that they are officially closed for the season.
jt3
Intermediate

even snowshoe looking pretty brown now....
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

Beech is done on Saturday. Will any NC resorts decide to hang in there till the cold comes back? And will they bother to make snow again?
I Ski
Beginner

App will just to be the only place open in the area.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

I Ski wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:09 am App will just to be the only place open in the area.
Saw some Instagram vids from out there last night. Coverage still looks good.
WOOOOOO!

marzski
Advanced

Massanutten is probably done for the season. Suspending operations as of 5:00pm today. Keeping tubing open on Sunday. Temps in the 50s is one thing, but extended days in the 60s and 70s is too much heat.

"2/24/18 9:30 am update: Due to the continued abnormally warm weather Massanutten will be suspending ski operations as of 5:00 pm today. "
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
bmwloco
Beginner

February. I used to ski through February and March. I'm 55 years old. The memories of my youth, twenties and early 30's... but now?

Bride found a big water snake in the back yard while cleaning up the koi pond. Bears are roaming and awake. Daffodils and other flowering plants are pushing up.

This doesn't bode well. And based on the conversations I had with climatologist while I worked in Antarctica (and skied) for 12 years, this may well be "the new normal". Almost all resorts in the US have snowmaking now; you could see a lot of brown in the Olympics in Korea too.

I hope this doesn't become the new cycle. I love to ski. But I also am sober enough to know that skiing in NC is all but for a fickle mistress; i.e. nature. And nature bats last.
dj
Advanced

Cataloochee is making snow, at least from mid-station down.

I think their power contract ends February 28. It will be very interesting to see if they pay the increased cost to keep making snow after that.
brigand
Beginner

I believe Sugar has the guns running at the top, too.
dreamnofpow
Expert

Sugar is trying hard, kinda have to give them props for doing so. Over the weekend they had a 30 yard stretch of astro turf from the top of lift to connect to snow. Then on switchback you had to take off your gear and hike to another patch of snow. Skiing/riding in the south at it's best!