The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

If you can't get 100% open this year....

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
AndyNCek

I'd like to preface this post with a full understanding that this may trigger many of you that live in Southeast. I'm not looking to cause any drama, or start some form of a thread war, but I feel that with the amazing season we have had thus far it's time for the customer (you and I) to have our voices and or opinions heard in regards to the transparency of our surrounding resorts. And please don't misunderstand me, I'm not someone who complains about the guns being on while I ride, or our resorts not opening every single run the can offer when the season's weather doesn't allow, so please don't paint this with that brush. But, I do have to ask, if a resort isn't at 100% at some point this season , what more do they need?
Ok, breath... let me finish before you blow your top. I also understand that there are more factors then just prolonged cold temps and wet bulb readings. I know that resorts need a steady supply of water, operating costs to run the guns, and future weather forecasting may not be advantageous to blow. But is it wrong for the customer to ask for an explanation? I follow a certain NC resort on Facebook. I've seen multiple people ask this resort when and If a certain trail would open. That resorts response, since December, has been the same, which basically states that they are trying their best to open all runs. I'm not doubting this to be the truth, but couldn't this resort do more to explain why they aren't 100% open at this point? I myself live in the Triangle, this season i finally bought a season pass to Snowshoe, I spent the last 3 years driving 3.5 hours to the NC and VA mountains to ride. Don't misunderstand me, I've had a great time, but to be honest, I can't justify the prices of the "local" resorts for what they offer. But thats my decision, I understand that I have the logistical ability to drive the 6 hours to WV for the weekend. I'm speaking more for the Winter fans that drive from SC, GA, FL to ride their nearest resorts. These are the people I see questioning the resorts on the product they are offering, and frankly I don't blame them. Does anyone feel this way? Again, I'm not stating that the resorts aren't giving the ole' college try to get the entire mountain open, but I would like to see more transparency from these resorts when they seem to have been blessed with an amazing opportunity to have one of the most profitable winters in many years.
yardsale
Expert

so beech hasn't opened oz yet?
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
davidski
Expert

mudslides on the steeps and fire in the tunnel I heard... but despite it all I am trying to breath as OP suggests
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

Andyncek, I completely agree. I assume you are speaking about Beech. The last couple seasons they have been disappointing me their ability to get slopes open. This includes this year. Considering the size of the resort and number of trails they are very slow at getting any trails beyond Shawneehaw open. I was amazed at how long it took to get Southern Star and White Lightning open this year especially with all the good snow making opportunities. I enjoy the resort once it is open, but it takes them a long time compared to other resorts.
Kastle
Beginner

The Oz run was the brain child of a previous GM by the name of Sepp Gemeunder from Switzerland or Austria. It was supposed to be the part two of the expansion that took place in the early eighties , part one being the Quad , or Beech Express as it was originally called. The feeling was that with the Quad moving many people to the top , there would be a need to open up some virgin terrain. In theory , Oz run was a great idea , similar to what Guenther has done with Oma's Run. Wide intermediate cruising run that will help thin the crowds. But no one anticipated the southern wind that constantly blows up the backside of Oz run , making snowmaking almost impossible . When you see snow crystals in Banner Elk on a sunny day , it's a running joke that Beech is making snow on Oz. To try and answer your question I can only say that if Beech is having a season where they are operating in the black , then all they have to do is start making snow on Oz , and fire up that fixed grip quad lift that has almost twice the chairs as the Quad Detachable lift , and they will soon be operating in the red. Oz run looks good on a trail map , but it has become more of a financial liability for Beech. As the summer downhill bike season continues to grow each year , it is rumored that Oz run will eventually be turned into a permanent downhill state of the art obstacle course , tying in with the Emerald Outback. From a marketing point of view , all they can say is that we would like to see Oz Run open .. of course they would. They are not going to post on their FB page sorry folks , it costs too much to try and open it but we are planning to plant hops on it for our new expanded micro-brewery. That's just my two cents worth from an old local whoose been here awhile.
AndyNCek

Kastle,

That's some really good info! I think all resorts needs to maintain a certain level of integrity. How many times have people caught Sugar (in the past) broadcasting a 60" base depth when in reality the overall depth is 18"? Common man, don't mislead these customers. That's interesting the weather anomaly that you mentioned, but I think beech could be missing a marketing opportunity to get people really excited to spend the day on there slopes. I look at Snowshoe's Western Territory as a perfect example. Those 4 runs get baked by the Western Sunset all season long, but Snowshoe makes it a point every season to blanket social media with a plan to open Cupp and Shay's. People love it! When you don't seem to have a Transparent answer for what amounts to 6% of your available terrain, I think people are justified to question that business strategy.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Kastle wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:48 pm The Oz run was the brain child of a previous GM by the name of Sepp Gemeunder from Switzerland or Austria. It was supposed to be the part two of the expansion that took place in the early eighties , part one being the Quad , or Beech Express as it was originally called. The feeling was that with the Quad moving many people to the top , there would be a need to open up some virgin terrain. In theory , Oz run was a great idea , similar to what Guenther has done with Oma's Run. Wide intermediate cruising run that will help thin the crowds. But no one anticipated the southern wind that constantly blows up the backside of Oz run , making snowmaking almost impossible . When you see snow crystals in Banner Elk on a sunny day , it's a running joke that Beech is making snow on Oz. To try and answer your question I can only say that if Beech is having a season where they are operating in the black , then all they have to do is start making snow on Oz , and fire up that fixed grip quad lift that has almost twice the chairs as the Quad Detachable lift , and they will soon be operating in the red. Oz run looks good on a trail map , but it has become more of a financial liability for Beech. As the summer downhill bike season continues to grow each year , it is rumored that Oz run will eventually be turned into a permanent downhill state of the art obstacle course , tying in with the Emerald Outback. From a marketing point of view , all they can say is that we would like to see Oz Run open .. of course they would. They are not going to post on their FB page sorry folks , it costs too much to try and open it but we are planning to plant hops on it for our new expanded micro-brewery. That's just my two cents worth from an old local whoose been here awhile.
Excellent info. I also think it's due to the fact that the past two seasons sucked and they wanted to make sure the main runs had a large enough base to make it through any warm spells.
WOOOOOO!

marzski
Advanced

theKENDOG wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:44 am Excellent info. I also think it's due to the fact that the past two seasons sucked and they wanted to make sure the main runs had a large enough base to make it through any warm spells.
Haven't been to Beech for a while. But the idea of building base on main runs seems to apply to Massanutten given that they didn't start blowing on the big terrain park until after MLK weekend. But they created a temporary terrain park on the short green, Nuttin-to-It, for a few weeks.

In low snow years, it's been pretty clear what the priority trails are at Mnut. Even though Mass Transit and Yee Ha are connectors between the two upper mountain lifts (5 and 6), they weren't being covered because Mass Transit gets pretty icy quickly when temps go up and down. Intermediates don't notice because they don't ski off Lift 6. The harder green, Geronimo, waited until a long enough cold spell during early season snowmaking because it has a lot of sun exposure.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
Kastle
Beginner

Exactly Martz .. and we all know that Mr. Costin owned Mass' before Beech .. lessons learned .. The Oz Run ( Robbins Run ) was implemented before the Costin family took ownership .. it all went down in the same year. What is now Robbins Run was called Tri - South Run , from the investment group out of Atlanta, the previous owner. During the land acquisition for the back side slope , it came down that Robbins Run was unacceptable for naming of said slope .. because of friction between the Robbins family and the current family of said real estate. Thereby in all interests to preserve the name of the defunct theme park , Oz Run was settled on. However today.. the Beech Mountain Parkway has been named the Grover Robbins Parkway .. it's just local politics.
marzski
Advanced

Kastle wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:53 pm Exactly Martz .. and we all know that Mr. Costin owned Mass' before Beech .. lessons learned ..
Ah, never knew about that connection. Great Eastern had bought out the original investors long before I first stayed at Massanutten. When Costin was involved as a partner, the "summit" was the top of Lift 5 and Lift 6 didn't exist.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.