The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

The reality of snowmaking in November in the Southeast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
marzski
Advanced

Mike Doble wrote up a great overview of why it's so hard to get a ski area open in November in the southeast even when there is a cold snap before mid-November. Complete with a summary of what happened at the places covered by SkiSoutheast in the Resorts tab when it comes to snow conditions once the season gets started. Or is at least around the corner.

http://www.skisoutheast.com/natives-res ... southeast/

If you've never skied under a blowing snow gun before, it's a good read.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

For a primer on snowmaking, Liberty Mountain near DC has a pretty good introduction. Liberty has 100 skiable acres, so in the same size category as Sugar and Beech.

http://www.libertymountainresort.com/wi ... making-101
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
davidski
Expert

Mike's article was particularly good
marzski
Advanced

Yeah, I know it's not Nov any more. But what Joe had to say in his article on 12/11 applies to any early season turns.

". . .
I hope you have been checking out the various links to webcams that you can find right here at skisoutheast.com. I hope you have been seeing the amount of snow that is being made and in fact has been made since the temperatures started to drop below freezing. It’s a beautiful site seeing the slopes and trails get covered over a very short period of time. Those millions upon millions of dollars spent by all of the resorts, year in, year out, always pay off during this type of weather period. I truly don’t think enough of you out there appreciate the cost in making sure that the quality of skiing and snowboarding is what it is in this region. Not only the cost of the snowguns that you see, but the cost of the electricity that it takes to push the water through the hoses that connect to the snowguns. I heard the other day, that one resort in the region has seen a nearly 100 percent increase for the cost of electricity over the last three seasons. I know I wouldn’t want that size of a bill be delivered to my mailbox. I would have a heart attack, because, believe it or not, that bill has seven numbers to the left of the decimal point. . . ."

http://www.skisoutheast.com/well-asked-now-go/
marzski
Advanced

Would also like to add that the folks who up all night making sure the snow guns are working at their peak deserve a lot of credit. Not complaints when there are a few guns on during daytime ski hours.
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

Yes, I am sure snow making is expensive. But they are in it for a profit like any other business. If they were not making money then they would not do it. They take a lot of risk, but also have a chance of a lot to gain. I say this as a business owner myself. My business has plenty of risk, but also has plenty of potential for gains as well.
davidski
Expert

well color me confused, who was complaining?
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

davidski wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 pm well color me confused, who was complaining?
Those who read Joe's article!
davidski
Expert

Marzski was saying that people should stop complaining, I meant that most aren't.

On the other hand I can't believe I am now praising massive snowmaking -- but the last two season's have been tough and I'm amazed some of the smaller resorts have held on. So I am glad to see it, for them and me.

But I should be more honest about how conflicted I am, increased snow making is both a symptom of the problem and an added cause. The hiss of guns is also the sound of whistling through the graveyard
marzski
Advanced

My comment was specifically meant for people who complain when snow guns are on when the slopes are open, especially during early season. Probably the same people who complain when the base isn't deep enough to withstand a warm spell in January. Are they a majority? No. But I doubt those who do complain really understand what level of effort is put in by people to make the fun of sliding on snow possible. Expensive machines aren't enough without good people who know what they are doing and don't mind sleeping very odd hours.