The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Future forecast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

Calling Kendog and other weather gurus. Is there any snow making temps in the forecast for the next few weeks that will allow Cat or Sugar to open?
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Wanakenatransplant wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:20 am Calling Kendog and other weather gurus. Is there any snow making temps in the forecast for the next few weeks that will allow Cat or Sugar to open?
Looks like they probably could late this weekend and early next week at night. However, after that it'll warm back up. And by warm back up, I mean things will be seasonable. Not crazy warm, but not cold either. It is still only October.

I'm also curious to see if both try and do their usual early openings. Last winter sucked and I'm sure profits took a hit. I wonder if they will continue to be aggressive this year.
WOOOOOO!

Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

I see Ray's weather talking about it. I don't think the window will be long enough to get it to stick and make the 6" that are needed to open. They really need about 18 hours of snow making temps to get open, it is hard to tell how many hours they will get. I agree, they would not be open long either and may not have the money to throw away.
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

The snow making opportunities the next few weeks don't look too good. Anybody seeing anything out there for 16 hours of snow making temps?
davidski
Expert

hope dies last ...
theKENDOG
Expert

Wanakenatransplant wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:01 pm The snow making opportunities the next few weeks don't look too good. Anybody seeing anything out there for 16 hours of snow making temps?
Not really. We'll have some colder air move in towards the latter portion of next work week, but it doesn't look quite cold enough for any openings, right now anyways. It looks cold enough at night but highs in the 40's won't do it when you're starting from scratch. This is still a week away though so who knows, maybe things will change.

At this point, I'm simply hoping for a Turkey Day opening based on what the models show. The Pacific Northwest looks like the place to be for now.
WOOOOOO!

dreamnofpow
Expert

Season is over before it has started. Going to be 79 freakn degrees today! Pray for the ski area operators, high country. How many bad seasons can they take financially?
OldSchool
Intermediate
Tagline: ......................I Love Cold, Rain and Snow!

I see a few NC resorts are advertising Black Friday for opening weekend.. I am going to draw a snow turtle, build a snow fire, and tune my skis... Hamme one dem beers!

southwest atl - den... $159 hmmmmmm?

atl- reno $259?

fly to reno do a lake Tahoe tour.. :mrgreen: . then drive to the dried up lake utard state for the bird and alta...

what you got planed?
"Like Tater tots in the broiler"........ sometimes they smoke

Hey Bo! Hamme one dem beers!...
skiing rules
Expert

I'd like to go skiing soon. Strange for it to be this warm in November. Hopefully our early season isn't as awful as last year. Gotta hope!
theKENDOG
Expert

November is certainly off to a warm start.

Interestingly enough though, November 2009 was pretty warm and we know how baller of a winter that turned out to be...
WOOOOOO!