The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Wolf Ridge trail map inconsistent?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
brigand
Beginner

Never been to Wolf Ridge before, but I figure I'll give it a try this season; a cursory search online says its considerably bigger than App, and roughly on par in size to Massanutten.

My question is about their trail map. The official web site displays the following trail map:

http://www.skiwolfridgenc.com/trail_map.php

However, the very next hit on Google shows this trail map:

http://www.skicentral.com/wolfridge-trailmap.html

The second trail map shows a 'long' run down Upper Nature Run through a tunnel to Ridge Runner.

Which is correct? Were these trails once open and Wolf closed them, or is their trail map out of date? I remember reading about a planned expansion there once, and I wanted to wait for it to finish before I drove the extra half hour to get there.

Just wondering if it's worth the drive at least one day, just to say I have skied every resort in driving distance.
jt3
Intermediate

that place has bad voodoo....
thefirewarde
Beginner

Wolf has IMO the most fun double diamond in NC even though it's marked as a single diamond - The Bowl. Unfortunately the weather regularly shafts them for snowmaking temps. Don't plan to go early season - wait until they get mostly open. Look for a Groupon/liftopia deal.

As for the map, the current map reflects currently maintained trails - the backside trails were for a now closed real estate expansion, and iirc the omitted front side black diamond hasn't opened for a few years.

When open to the top, Wolf is a heck of a lot of fun to ski. If you can get there while they're 100%, by all means try it out.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

brigand
Beginner

That's a shame - hate to hear it actually shrunk. I may still make a trip there, but it will be harder to get motivated to drive an extra half hour for less terrain. Thanks for the heads up.
thefirewarde
Beginner

The only shrink you'll notice is Flame Out - there's a reason the backside runs were all rated green. Just watch the weather, TRs, and Facebook to time your trip.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

ROYMERCER
Intermediate

The current WOLF is nowhere near the size of Mass. There was a big fire a few years back that burned down a huge, beautiful upper lodge and damaged both upper lifts. the backside tunnel run was a very nice, gentle run with a couple of decent sections with a little pitch. We loved staying at the upper log homes near the lodge and pool back then. This is a throw back now with a very dated lodge but I always head there after a good snowfall as crowds are pretty much non existent usually. Groupon runs many specials as does Asheville.com. the folks there have always been super nice and friendly to my family .
2020-2021 days skiing
CAT= 2
APP=
WOLF=
MASSANUTTEN=
TIMBERLINE=
CANAAN VALLEY=
SAPPHIRE=1
marzski
Advanced

ROYMERCER wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:04 pm The current WOLF is nowhere near the size of Mass. There was a big fire a few years back that burned down a huge, beautiful upper lodge and damaged both upper lifts. the backside tunnel run was a very nice, gentle run with a couple of decent sections with a little pitch. We loved staying at the upper log homes near the lodge and pool back then. This is a throw back now with a very dated lodge but I always head there after a good snowfall as crowds are pretty much non existent usually. Groupon runs many specials as does Asheville.com. the folks there have always been super nice and friendly to my family .
So what is the Wolf acreage now? OnTheSnow has 65 acres, SkiSE has 72. Around 700 ft vertical.

Massanutten is about 75 acres, but the fun part is the 1100 ft vertical. With 825 for the two black trails off Lift 6 to the top.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
bmwloco
Beginner

Sigh. Wolf used to be epic back in the uh, 70's when I used to sneak off and ski there. They had a J hook that would take you to the top of the mountain, then tree skiing! Nice memories. Haven't been back since. Maybe I'll give it a go this year; it's close to Asheville.
ROYMERCER
Intermediate

I would guess that runs that usually open during a normal season, maybe 30 acres.
2020-2021 days skiing
CAT= 2
APP=
WOLF=
MASSANUTTEN=
TIMBERLINE=
CANAAN VALLEY=
SAPPHIRE=1
marzski
Advanced

ROYMERCER wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:06 pm I would guess that runs that usually open during a normal season, maybe 30 acres.
Ah, so that makes it about the size of Cat or App. I haven't skied either of those. Wasn't quite worth the drive when I was skiing in the NC mountains when my daughter was young. We stuck with Massanutten after she could ski off Lift 6, which was around 2007.

I'm certainly hoping the new pipeline will mean that the connector trail between Lifts 5 and 6 gets open at Mnut this season. Last season there was enough cold but not enough water. The automated guns can lay out a lot in a short tie. Not having the connector trail doesn't take out much acreage but means having to go down to the base to switch between the upper lifts.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.