The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Wolf Ridge trail map inconsistent?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
ROYMERCER
Intermediate

I would say a little bigger than Cat usually . We really enjoy our week at Mass and hope to do a day trip to Wintergreen and Bryce for sure this year. Our twin 8 year old granddaughters love the triple chair run now and lap it till my legs ache usually!
2020-2021 days skiing
CAT= 2
APP=
WOLF=
MASSANUTTEN=
TIMBERLINE=
CANAAN VALLEY=
SAPPHIRE=1
marzski
Advanced

ROYMERCER wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:52 am I would say a little bigger than Cat usually . We really enjoy our week at Mass and hope to do a day trip to Wintergreen and Bryce for sure this year. Our twin 8 year old granddaughters love the triple chair run now and lap it till my legs ache usually!
Do the girls like to ski from mid-station or from the top? My daughter could ride Lift 6 by the time she was 7. The ski instructors at Mnut are great!

I'd be much more likely to do a day trip to Canaan Valley or Timberline from Massanutten than Bryce. Wintergreen is fun midweek but not worth the drive on weekends.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
ROYMERCER
Intermediate

they usually get off at 3/4 station. We have always wanted to try Timberline and may just do that. We are also looking at a timeshare at a resort between the 2 ski areas which would give us 2 good weeks of skiing between Mass and Canaan area.
2020-2021 days skiing
CAT= 2
APP=
WOLF=
MASSANUTTEN=
TIMBERLINE=
CANAAN VALLEY=
SAPPHIRE=1
marzski
Advanced

ROYMERCER wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:12 am they usually get off at 3/4 station. We have always wanted to try Timberline and may just do that. We are also looking at a timeshare at a resort between the 2 ski areas which would give us 2 good weeks of skiing between Mass and Canaan area.
Do they know how to side slip? The top of Showtime is where ski instructors teach the kids in the intermediate classes to side slip. I've found that once someone can make the 2-4 turns needed to get down the Showtime "headwall" then it's time to take them up Lift 6. There is nothing steeper than the top of Showtime on Paradice. Have enjoy the experience of a first run on Paradice with kids and adults over the last 15 years. My daughter was six since she started at the Mnut ski school went she was four. My friend's son was doing bumps on Paradice with an instructor when he was 8 during his second season. Learned fast because he plays ice hockey.

Are you talking about a timeshare between CV and Timberline?
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
ROYMERCER
Intermediate

yes,
Land of Canaan vacation resort.
2020-2021 days skiing
CAT= 2
APP=
WOLF=
MASSANUTTEN=
TIMBERLINE=
CANAAN VALLEY=
SAPPHIRE=1
L Bear
Beginner

guys... this is a wolf gossip forum. please, adhere.
marzski
Advanced

L Bear wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm guys... this is a wolf gossip forum. please, adhere.
You got any gossip to share?

After the first page, getting off topic is the sign of an active forum. A lot more fun than a bunch of on-topic threads with no replies. :roll:
Old Fart
Beginner

Wolf -The Little Ski Area that just couldn't.

So much potential, so many hopes, nothing but letdowns. Nice enough place after a big snow, or if they have been able to make significant snow.
brigand
Beginner

Why down on Wolf Ridge/bad voodoo? I watched a drone video of it online, and it looked like it was similar in size to Beech. I think it's weird I never hear anyone talking about it and I have been going to Sugar and Beech for decades. I only realized it existed a couple of years ago.
L Bear
Beginner

Historically, they've had ambitious plans, but just bad luck: compromised summer expansions, bad winters, nasty ownership changes, and of course the Great Upper Lodge Fire of 2014. Now, how much of that has been brought up on themselves is questionable.

Regardless, everyone in this community at least wants to see them succeed. The terrain has so much potential, decent elevation, relatively steep, tight, and plenty of old road beds. This is why it's the hidden secret of a big pow day.

IMO, they should try to reinvent themselves with a heavy focus on building and maintaining a top-notch park. Think about the potential of that market particularly, those who crave park riding. They have all of Asheville to pull from, not to mention Mars Hill, a college town, down the road. In that case, they would need to focus on the creation and operation a clear superior park compared to Cat. It's a similar model to App, but with more workable and diverse terrain.

But I don't own a ski resort, so what do I know.