The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Western Trip

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Woodsrider427
Beginner

We are starting to think about planning a western trip (Colorado or Utah) for the end of March or first week of April and was hoping to get some advice (first time for us). We have friends that might join us and they are suggesting Breckenridge, as it seems like there may be more to do for non/light skiers. We'll have a mix of upper intermediate and beginner skiers. They want to go the last week of March but that looks like it might be spring break week for the Denver schools, how bad would it be? I was originally aiming for the first week of April (before the friends got involved), I assume conditions would still be good? Any advice (or opinions on other possibilities) would be appreciated.
marzski
Advanced

Hello Woodsrider! Where have you been skiing so far? Only in the southeast or elsewhere? All skiers, or skiers and boarders?

I'll be at Alta Lodge the last week of March and staying into April. Have been there during late season starting in 2008 to meet up with friends. Kids 12 and under are free in April. My kid and her friends aren't free any more but we are still going to meet up since it's rare that the kids (different cities) have the same spring break off. There is usually plenty of snow late up in Little Cottonwood Canyon so planning a trip to Alta and/or Snowbird is pretty foolproof from a snow conditions standpoint. In fact, the deepest powder I've ever skied dumped on an April 15 a few years ago. Didn't stay powder more than a couple days, but it certainly was great fun while it lasted!

Spring break weeks are never as bad as Christmas week.

The issue for Breck for some people is the high altitude. Has everyone in your group slept at over 9000 ft before? Park City would be a reasonable alternative in late March or early April. If the budget can stand it, Snowmass is great for beginners and intermediates.

What type of lodging are you thinking about? Hotel? Condo or house with kitchen?
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
Woodsrider427
Beginner

Thanks for the response Marzski. We've skied mostly in the southeast (Snowshoe and Wintergreen the most) and one trip to Killington in each of the the last two seasons. I skied some up in NY over 20 years ago and just started again in January of 2016 when my daughter wanted to go try for her 16th birthday. I don't know much about the other family's experience. The western trip would be all skiers.

SLC was on top of the list of places to go when it was just going to be my daughter and I, as from what I'm told we can stay in the city and drive to different places. Isn't Alta and Snowbird generally more advanced terrain though? And nobody in my family has ever slept at over 9,000 ft and I don't believe the other family has either.

We were looking at mostly condos with ski in/out access at Breckenridge. Is Snowmass more expensive than Breckenridge? Is the elevation not as bad?

Thanks again for your input, it's greatly appreciated. By the way, I noticed you are in Cary, I'm in Wake Forest.
marzski
Advanced

I have no idea about prices comparing Breck and Snowmass. Breck is definitely higher. Even for people who don't have any real issues adjusting to altitude, it usually takes 2-3 days for full adjustment. Both have a real town, but quite different atmospheres from what I understand. I've skied at Aspen but only for a few days. The first trip was late March and it turned out to be warm. But that's a risk for any late season trip. That said, the first day was a powder day at Snowmass and it was still plenty of fun until mid-afternoon the other days at Aspen Mountain and Aspen Highlands. Only Buttermilk is a bit low to be reliable for a late season trip.

Snowbird is not the best first experience out west for cautious intermediates. More adventurous intermediates can have a pretty good time. Alta is great for beginners and intermediates. I know that from personal experience, both my own, my daughter's, as well as quite a few friends. It's just that advanced/experts talk about Alta so much that it can leave the impression there is no easy terrain.

A hotel in SLC is the way to go for a budget trip in late season. In April can find bargains at Snowbird and Park City if decide to stay closer to the slopes. Staying at a lodge in the town of Alta is pricey but the way to get completely spoiled. Full breakfast and great dinners are included in the price. Every person I've talked into staying at Alta Lodge wants to go back sooner or later. Have friends who like Goldminer's Daughter too. But not much to do besides eat, sleep, and ski. For non-skiing activities, Park City is better. Can still do a day trip or two over to Alta. The drive is about an hour, or can take a day-trip bus.

Which trails do you like best at Snowshoe? At Wintergreen?

What airline to do you plan to fly? I stick with Southwest because of the free checked bags and the ability to change flights without an extra fee. Have extended more than one spring trip to catch a snowstorm.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Do you have a Snowshoe ridiculous pass for 17/18? If so, consider the Max Pass add-on and going to Winter Park or Steamboat. If you don't, who knows by then the new Intrawest/Aspen/KSL company's season pass for 18/19 might be on sale, usable for your week and cover you for next season at Snowshoe.
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Do you have a Snowshoe ridiculous pass for 17/18? If so, consider the Max Pass add-on and going to Winter Park or Steamboat. If you don't, who knows by then the new Intrawest/Aspen/KSL company's season pass for 18/19 might be on sale, usable for your week and cover you for next season at Snowshoe.
marzski
Advanced

spydeeTJB wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:01 am Do you have a Snowshoe ridiculous pass for 17/18? If so, consider the Max Pass add-on and going to Winter Park or Steamboat. If you don't, who knows by then the new Intrawest/Aspen/KSL company's season pass for 18/19 might be on sale, usable for your week and cover you for next season at Snowshoe.
Don't you have to pay to upgrade the Snowshoe ridiculous pass before it qualifies for the MAX Pass Add-on? In general, both the MAX Pass and Mountain Collective Pass (MCP) make more sense for people who know they will take 2 trips to major destinations that are included or spent >6 days skiing at one major destination.

Certainly will be interesting to see what the KSL/HCC/Intrawest mountains have to offer for 2018-19. I'm hoping Aspen Ski Co. staying in the MCP. The option exists since ASC remains separate from the new corporate entity. The Crown family's company is just an investor, while retaining full ownership and control of Aspen/Snowmass/Highlands/Buttermilk.
Woodsrider427
Beginner

Marzski, thanks for all the advice so far, it's a great help. At Snowshoe our favorites usually ends up being early morning laps on the Ballhooter lift. Grabhammer, Spruce, Skip Jack, Upper and Lower Ballhooter, etc. We also like the Soaring Eagle area before it gets too beat up. So I guess you can say we like groomers. My goal this year is to definitely work on skiing more crud and working on steeper terrain. We've done quite a few laps of Cupp Run but once it gets chewed up I'm done. As for Wintergreen I can't say I have a favorite, but it's the closest to home so I try to day trip there as much as possible. The last couple of times there I spent most of my time on the Highlands side trying to step up my game!! But I do enjoy Eagles Swoop a lot too.

As for airlines, we haven't gotten that far yet. I need to pinpoint our destination first.

And Spydee, yes we do have Snowshoe's ridiculous passes for 17/18 which is great. We skied 3 days in late March which were included with that so I feel like they are almost paid for!! Great deal. I didn't know anything about the Maxx Pass add on so I'll have to look into that and Marzski's question about upgrading first.

Thanks guys.
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Yes, $329 to upgrade to Max Pass. Gets you 5 days at each mtn which is probably cheaper than other pass/ticket options even if you limit yourself to one. There's a link on Snowshoe's homepage for details.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

marzski
Advanced

Woodsrider427 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:10 pm Marzski, thanks for all the advice so far, it's a great help. At Snowshoe our favorites usually ends up being early morning laps on the Ballhooter lift. Grabhammer, Spruce, Skip Jack, Upper and Lower Ballhooter, etc. We also like the Soaring Eagle area before it gets too beat up. So I guess you can say we like groomers. My goal this year is to definitely work on skiing more crud and working on steeper terrain. We've done quite a few laps of Cupp Run but once it gets chewed up I'm done. As for Wintergreen I can't say I have a favorite, but it's the closest to home so I try to day trip there as much as possible. The last couple of times there I spent most of my time on the Highlands side trying to step up my game!! But I do enjoy Eagles Swoop a lot too.
Do you day trip to Wintergreen on weekends or during the week? If you go midweek, I might be interested in riding along one day. Haven't been there for a while. I'm retired. Starting taking longer trips out west so ski less in the southeast these days. Mostly Massanutten with friends who have young kids, so we go holiday weekends.

You would probably be fine on Snowbird groomers. It's not that they are that difficult. It's more that a few are relatively narrow cat tracks. But not that much different from the cat tracks at Snowshoe. Mineral Basin can be a bit mind blowing because it's so big, but as long as conditions are decent the groomers are fun because they are loooong with a great view.

I started taking lessons after needing to do knee rehab several years ago. Had I known what I learned about how to get a really experienced instructor, I would've started lessons at the same time my daughter was doing ski school. After working with PSIA Level 3 instructors at Massanutten and out west, I've become a much better skier than I ever expected . . . because I didn't start skiing regularly until after age 50. Didn't expect to go from Level 7 (of 9) to Level 8 in just a couple seasons when I was pretty much Level 6 as a working adult only skiing for a week out west every few years.

Steamboat could work out from what I hear about late season. The town is quite fun. There is a free bus system. Possible to avoid renting a car if you fly directly into Hayden. From Denver, it probably makes more sense to rent a car.

Does your family have ski gear they want to take on the plane? Boots? Skis?