The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Most challenging trails in the southeast?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
SkiCop
Expert

I've skiied every run at Sugar, Beech, Cat, Snowshoe, Cloudmont (yes, even the backcountry), and Ober. If you can ski Mogul Ridge at Ober when it is a solid sheet of ice and bumped up like a teenager's face with style and grace, I think you are Olympic material.
ShredPirateRoberts
Beginner

Gunther's Way at Sugar Mtn is comparable to the steeps you might encounter in the Rockies.

The Western Territory of Snowshoe probably most challenging terrain in Southeast / Mid Atlantic
“The best place in the world to ski is where you’re skiing that day.” - Warren Miller
Nashville TN
swamphox
Expert

I dont think it is but something abt gunther's feels steeper than whoopdeedoo.

btw shredpirateroberts...nice name
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
brigand
Beginner

I definitely feel the opposite; Whoopdeedoo feels a hell of a lot steeper than Gunther's. Maybe it's because Gunther's is broken into 2 'steepish' sections with an easy part in the middle (like White Lightning). Don't notice much difference skiing them, but last time I rode down Whoopdeedoo I was nervous to even turn off my heel edge.
RMacSki
Advanced

RMacSki wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:33 am Hands down the cornice drop into Alley Cat at Cataloochee.
reposting
2014-2015 Days On: Like a billion already.
L Bear
Beginner

RMacSki wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:45 pm
RMacSki wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:33 am Hands down the cornice drop into Alley Cat at Cataloochee.
reposting
go on...
RMacSki
Advanced

L Bear wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:08 pm
reposting
go on...
I mean have you seen it. Some seasons under heavy blowing conditions and freeze thaw cycles that cornice can get pretty gnarly. Pole whacks are mandatory before "DROPPING" must be yelled from above.

It's mandatory air AND it's right under the lift for added nerve. I don't know why it isn't the Southeast's only TRIPLE BLACK DIAMOND.
L Bear
Beginner

RMacSki wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:22 pm
L Bear wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:08 pm

reposting
go on...
I mean have you seen it. Some seasons under heavy blowing conditions and freeze thaw cycles that cornice can get pretty gnarly. Pole whacks are mandatory before "DROPPING" must be yelled from above.

It's mandatory air AND it's right under the lift for added nerve. I don't know why it isn't the Southeast's only TRIPLE BLACK DIAMOND.
maybe Mike can snag some drone drop footage this season?
ShredPirateRoberts
Beginner

Whats more challenging?

Beech Mtn Southern Star to White Lightning Rock Jump

Or

Cataloochee Alley Cat Cornice Drop?
“The best place in the world to ski is where you’re skiing that day.” - Warren Miller
Nashville TN
RMacSki
Advanced

It's not even close!

ShredPirateRoberts - I live in Nashville too.