The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

January Weather - Historical

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
OldSchool
Intermediate
Tagline: ......................I Love Cold, Rain and Snow!

KGw.. YOU NEED TO mAN UP

..pLAN A skinc SUMMIT!!!

WITH LIVE ANIMALS..

INVITE tELEDAVE..

AND BE FAMOUS!
"Like Tater tots in the broiler"........ sometimes they smoke

Hey Bo! Hamme one dem beers!...
philipwicker
Beginner

Where do you pull your weather records from?
skipanther
Advanced

All I know is when my parents moved us down here in the early 80s it seemed a lot colder in the Winter,the smaller coves on Lake Wylie would freeze over,that doesn't happen anymore!Spring comes a month earlier also!
L Bear
Beginner

There's nothing like some empirical evidence to support our consensus that DIS JANURY SUX YO
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Just for some reference, so far this month the average temperature at Beech has been 34.2. That sounds good, but as of right now it's the second warmest since 1991.
WOOOOOO!

theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Also, so far this month there have been 11 (12 now) days of low temperatures staying above freezing at Beech. The record is 15 for the month of January and that was back in 2006. Again, this is only since 1991 though.
WOOOOOO!

2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Thanks for the synopsis KD. This year sucks but so it did too 26 yrs ago. Welcome to NC!
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
philipwicker
Beginner

Some thoughts: Global warming is all the entire eastern seaboard can think about right now...I bet nobody in Mammoth or Jackson Hole is thinking much at all about global warming with the season they've had this year. Keep in mind, we've only got data for ~100 years. There is a ton of data that we just won't ever get access to about what the earth's climate has done before that. I'm no climatologist, but I'm fairly certain our planet goes through warming and cooling cycles no matter what. Heck, I've read that northern England used to grow grapes 2000 years ago. There's just too much we don't know to assume that this is the end of winter as we know it because we've had a couple of crappy seasons. I do think we've contributed to some of the extreme spikes we've seen in modern times. Everyone REALLY needs to do their part and try and trim down their carbon footprint, but as far as any of us here...nobody is old enough to really have seen what this planet has done in the past. We'll have some really cold winters, and some really hot summers..just a part of being on a seasonal planet. And to end my brain dump...we're in the south people. Yea, we get storms that'll lay down that white room every once in a while, but like KGW mentioned..we're in a battleground weather region and this area has been getting weather like this for as long as they've been recording it..if not longer, just part of the package.
skipanther
Advanced

Yes,we don't know what the records say before a 100 years but it appears it was a lot colder back in the 1700s and 1800s!I think it has been more than a couple crappy seasons and most of the Winters in Charlotte have been warmer than average the last 25 years or so!
davidski
Expert

killglobalwarmingnow wrote:Site has been taken down.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/energy/climate-change
wow already
Last edited by davidski on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.