The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Diverted to Snowshoe

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
philipwicker
Beginner

Just before Christmas, I attempted to book a trip to Snowshoe with a group of about 6 adults and 2 kids for a few nights around the weekend of Feb 11th. With no deals running at the time, I quickly realized Snowshoe was going to be WAY out of budget. I've always liked Snowshoe's terrain and all, but was always very turned off by how they have the lodging rates on lock down and can almost name their price because they're in the middle of nowhere. Of the little VRBO and Airbnb type of properties that are around there..they all just seem to follow the same rates because they can (why not). We're talking average at the time, 2000-2500 or more for just a 2 or 3 bedroom place for 3 nights. I can go stay a week beach front cheaper than that in September. Then throw in lift tickets, gas, food...heck I'm riding in Jackson hole at that point! No sweat though..we just a found something suitable at Beech for 4 nights and we were set. Today I completely diverted our plans thanks to this post (http://www.skisoutheast.com/lots-snow-s ... haw-sight/). KG gloriously recommended readers check out these Snowshoe deals...I took the bait. 3 nights lodging and get a 4th free..so I started digging. Turned out it was only going to take 50 more bucks a person to get to snowshoe in the same size condo we had at beech. Then, I spoke with a booking agent who informed me that if we did 4 day lift tickets (vs 3 day), they were running a deal where they were 160 bucks, today only/limited quantity kind of thing...that's a steal! You better believe I got every person in our group on the horn and basically said here's what we're doing instead...you better be okay with it. Canceled the reservations we had at Beech and now we're locked in for Snowshoe February 9th-13th. Moral of the story..read everything skisoutheast.com posts because it could tremendously improve your trip plans. 8-) 8-) 8-)
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Glad to know I can help! Enjoy the Shoe!
WOOOOOO!

Woodsrider427
Beginner

We'll be there the same weekend, Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully there will be some snow left!!
grinderstation
Beginner

My $.02 you should have considered further north. Setting aside the need for a "ski village" vibe, Canaan is sooo superior to snowshoe. only about an hour further. the terrain is hands down better with better OB options. Better snow, far, far less crowds. And so what if a lift tower sheers. its part of the charm. Seriously though, look at the canaan valley next time.
skipanther
Advanced

I like Timberline but it's such a loooooooooooong haul to get there!
philipwicker
Beginner

I hear you on the Canaan and Timberline...but truth be told, we'll be traveling from Mooresville NC area with a 1 month old baby girl (and 2 of our other kids age 5 & 3). Wife is due any day...yea we don't mess around...our kids start shredding young. The 5+ hour ride to Snowshoe is about the max right now. Any further and we'd probably head on to Seven Springs in PA...that's where my wife grew up Snowboarding.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

philipwicker wrote:I hear you on the Canaan and Timberline...but truth be told, we'll be traveling from Mooresville NC area with a 1 month old baby girl (and 2 of our other kids age 5 & 3). Wife is due any day...yea we don't mess around...our kids start shredding young. The 5+ hour ride to Snowshoe is about the max right now. Any further and we'd probably head on to Seven Springs in PA...that's where my wife grew up Snowboarding.
I've never been to Canaan or Timberline but you can't go wrong with Snowshoe and the Village is great for a family. They have all kinds of kid activities in there.
WOOOOOO!

spydeeTJB
Intermediate

theKENDOG wrote: I've never been to Canaan or Timberline but you can't go wrong with Snowshoe and the Village is great for a family. They have all kinds of kid activities in there.
Call your booking agent and ask if access to split rock pools (indoor/outdoor pool w/ slides etc) is included. It's a good option for families.
bmwloco
Beginner

Beech or Snowshoe? As much as I love Beech on a good day, Snowshoe at this time of year is the only place to be. I hope it was/is a great trip!
SWOOP
Beginner
Tagline: Swooping in on fresh pow

I share your sentiment. Before purchasing our condo this year, I looked for deals at the Inn, VRBO, tents, campers and sleeping bags i n parking lots :). Part of the reason we purchased and have listed on VRBO was to help families like yours enjoy Snowshoe at a reasonable price. We have some openings left. Feel free to check us out "Cozy Chalet" at VRBO.com/905445. Mention SKISOUTHEAST and we will help you out. Cheers!