The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Buying boots in Charlotte?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
marzski
Advanced

Question for folks in Charlotte . . . are there any good boot fitters in Charlotte? Or do folks buy boots in Asheville, Boone, or Banner Elk? Asking for newbie who just started skiing last winter who wants to buy boots and skis before the season starts.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

My wife had a very good experience at Ski Country. The boot fitter there has been doing it a long time and is very knowledgeable. They are friendly and appreciate your business.

The opposite of them is Alpine Ski Center that has a bunch of employees that act like you are bothering them every time you enter. There knowledge is very limited there as well. I would not even bother checking them out.
fitzyfitz1313
Beginner

I had a pretty good experience at Sun & Ski in Ballantyne. The guy I was with (who I'm thinking was the shift lead or whatever, so no guarantees on the rest of the staff) was very knowledgeable and even helped me with my unique fitting situation (my left leg is smaller than the right).
'18-'19 season days skied: 1 (Sugar 1)
philipwicker
Beginner

Sun and Ski does a decent job, an they usually have a large selection (in snowboard boots at least).
marzski
Advanced

Thanks for the input. Didn't know there was a Sun and Ski in Charlotte.

My experience back in 2004-2006 with Ski Country and Alpine was about the same. I stopped going to Alpine in Raleigh completely once I bought gear for my daughter and didn't need a season lease. Got my first pair of 4-buckle boots during a pre-season sale at Ski Country (across from Sugar).

For anyone in the Triangle area, C&R in Hillsborough and Elon is the place to go for boot fitting. I'm on my second pair of boots from Dick in Hillsborough. Tend to buy during late season sales in early March before I head out to Alta in April.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
David Carterpro
Tagline: gunther

Buying boots in the city is a mistake for two reasons most city shop employee's don't have the experience that an area shop employee has. A city shop probably in the south see's less than 50 boot problems a season, unless there selling boots that are too big, makes for an easy sale. Where a good boot fitter at a ski area might see that every 2 weeks. Mostly fixing boots sold in the city, especially the south or mass merchandisers. The problem you'll run into in North Carolina or worse from the guy in South Carolina passing him self off as a Master Boot fitter. It takes years and thousands of boots to become a master boot fitter not a dollar store certificate that takes a weekend to acquire, Your best bet in North Carolina is to locate one of two boot fitters. Brian Britton who worked at all of the three area shops in front of Sugar Mtn or Donavan Carroll who works for Alpine ski center neither which I've seen in a while. But knowing their passion for the sport I think you will find them, Call the local ski patrol, they worked on there boots quite often. I met Brian on the slopes my boot didn't fit my sugar mtn ski rental a ski patrol called over a snowboarder to see if he could help, I thought to myself how can this punk snowboarder fix my ski at the very top of sugar, well he did with his car keys and by the end of our vacation me and my wife had the best fitting boots imaginable and he took the time to instruct us in every facet of skiing and boot know how, at the end he sent us to Donavan Carrol across the street to make sure nothing fit better, Good Luck this season your boots do not have to hurt.
marzski
Advanced

So David Carterpro, what makes you an expert on boot fitters? I've communicated with Mike of Southern Ski in Columbia, SC. He's been doing custom boot fitting for decades. Not necessarily worth the drive for most people who live in Charlotte, but he is most certainly a qualified boot fitter. The same goes for the boot fitters who work for C&R Ski in Elon and Hillsborough.

I've bought two pairs of boots from C&R in Hillsborough in the last 10 years. I work with Dick, who also happens to be the owner. Have talked with the boot fitter who manages the shop in Elon. Others at SkiSE have worked with him and been quite happy.

There is also a very experienced boot fitter in Charlottesville, VA at Freestyle. The instructors at Massanutten get boots from him.

Agree that well fitted ski boots should not hurt. But it usually takes a tweak or two after skiing with them to get the fit as perfect as possible. Definitely should not buy boots from a boot fitter that does not guarantee satisfaction. Most will do tweaks for the life of the boots.
alexmattar

Ski Country or Sun and Ski (Ballantyne location) I recommend. I always get great quality work done at Ski Country. Everyone there is very knowledgeable and very experienced when it comes to boot fitting and tuning. Most of the guys at both of these locations ski more than the locals do believe it or not.
David Carterpro
Tagline: gunther

First I'm a podiatrist with over 2o years working for Boot Dr.s In vail. I had two ski patrol bring me there boots from Sugar Mtn who told me of the master boot fitter in S. C. The first pair I worked on Had the foot board adjustment tool left under the bladder, The second boot had an orthotic to big for the bladder that was curling up and causing the customer to loose toe nails. For your info most toe nail loss is due to boots that are to big. I'm retired in the Atlanta area, but the only way to tweak a boot is to be at the foot of a mtn. I'm sure your boot fitter is a good guy but if you want your boots to be fitted correctly go to a ski area. On a side note I've worked on the boots of 5 U.S ski team members and I never called myself a master anything.
Juice
Beginner

I've always had good experiences from alpine in banner elk.