The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Skiing in Washington next week..

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
davidski
Expert

Skiing in Washington next week... first time
Wife and I are about to depart for Portland to spend about five days with my son there.

We will go to Timberline together on Friday. .

Then next week I'm staying a few extra days and will stay in Leavenworth ,WA

Probably ski White pass on the way then alpental , mission ridge or stevens.

All firsts for me...weather is not promising but I expect to have a great time. Any advice tips knowledge?
Ski Bunny
Advanced

I skied at Crystal Mountain a few years ago and really liked the mountain. It was an easy day trip from Seattle. It may be too far from Leavenworth, but it is worth checking out. Enjoy your trip!
skipanther
Advanced

Mucho pics porfavor(sp)!
pagamony
Advanced

Glad for you.

i stayed in Leavenworth also in April and the town was dead. I think i was the only person in the motel and pub. Literally a bunch of fake German om-pah stuff playing through the town PA. Obviously very close to Stephens. Gorgeous mountains, it looks like they could have had a gondola going right out of town. I had wanted to stay at a hostel near the ski area but it was unexpectedly closed.

i don't know what the snow is like this April but it was very wet and sticky for me. The rental gear at Crystal was the worst ever, but I liked their terrain the best. At either place, go high - elevation made a big difference in snow.
porter
Advanced

Well if you are in Leavenworth then it would seem your decision has already been made. Stevens is a fun area with a lot of variety, White Pass is bigger than it looks although I did not really care for it, and Mission Ridge probably has the best overall snow quality in the state. Crystal is big and beautiful but crowded with Puget Sound skiers; it's also a long drive for you since only the only roads to it open this time of year come from the west side of the Cascades. Baker is a much longer drive but legendary. Snoqualmie is sort of a big inner city line of lifts along the freeway, though Alpental has its fans (it's steep).

There are a handful of other smaller places in that area, like Loup Loup and Badger Mountain, but I'd guess they closed Easter Sunday. There is also a two rope tow hill in Leavenworth, but it's probably closed as well.
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

No tips, nvr been, but best wishes and good luck!
OldSchool
Intermediate
Tagline: ......................I Love Cold, Rain and Snow!

Get SOME!
"Like Tater tots in the broiler"........ sometimes they smoke

Hey Bo! Hamme one dem beers!...
davidski
Expert

Ski Bunny wrote:I skied at Crystal Mountain a few years ago and really liked the mountain. It was an easy day trip from Seattle. It may be too far from Leavenworth, but it is worth checking out. Enjoy your trip!
pagamony wrote:Glad for you.

i stayed in Leavenworth also in April and the town was dead. I think i was the only person in the motel and pub. Literally a bunch of fake German om-pah stuff playing through the town PA. Obviously very close to Stephens. Gorgeous mountains, it looks like they could have had a gondola going right out of town. I had wanted to stay at a hostel near the ski area but it was unexpectedly closed.

i don't know what the snow is like this April but it was very wet and sticky for me... At either place, go high - elevation made a big difference in snow.
porter wrote:Well if you are in Leavenworth then it would seem your decision has already been made. Stevens is a fun area with a lot of variety, White Pass is bigger than it looks although I did not really care for it, and Mission Ridge probably has the best overall snow quality in the state. Crystal is big and beautiful but crowded with Puget Sound skiers; it's also a long drive for you since only the only roads to it open this time of year come from the west side of the Cascades. Baker is a much longer drive but legendary. Snoqualmie is sort of a big inner city line of lifts along the freeway, though Alpental has its fans (it's steep).
^^^^all quoted above was spot on

Flew out of Portland yesterday morning. Great trip for wife and I with son, lots of food and waterfalls and coast, and Tarheel Basketball, still getting over that,....and four different mountains for me, three new ones.

I had connectivity and being tired issues, meant to post a lot. Here are some pics but I want to do an old fashioned TR too

Hood
Haystack
Columbia Gorge
White Pass
Stevens Pass
Ranier from top of crystal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ski Bunny
Advanced

Awesome pics! I am glad you had a great trip and checked out Crystal. Looking forward to the trip report.
OldSchool
Intermediate
Tagline: ......................I Love Cold, Rain and Snow!

Nice!
"Like Tater tots in the broiler"........ sometimes they smoke

Hey Bo! Hamme one dem beers!...