The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

NC resorts in March?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
QC_Pirate
Beginner

I've never done NC in March. Might skip out on work and get my last runs in around 3/10. What do you think the NC resorts will be like 2 weeks from now? Minimal runs or still close to all trails open? Was thinking Beech/Sugar and then possibly check out cataloochee.

Or should I double up drive time and head north to WV?
davidski
Expert

I'm planning on going to sugar with my son around that time in march, with moderate temperatures they still should be great for a while even if it is end of the season slushy conditions, which can be fun
swamphox
Expert

I've probably skied more in March than I have in December. It'll be OK

It could range from skiing in shorts and a t-shirt in 70 degree slush to getting an inch or two the night before and it being a day with highs in the upper 30s on the last day they're open. I've gotten to do both.

If you've got someone who is new to skiing it'd be a good idea to take them on a slushy day. Slush is very forgiving as it's both softer and harder to get up a lot of speed on.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
ROYMERCER
Intermediate

March is a good time. most places discount tix the last week or 2 and you have the slopes to yourself.
2020-2021 days skiing
CAT= 2
APP=
WOLF=
MASSANUTTEN=
TIMBERLINE=
CANAAN VALLEY=
SAPPHIRE=1
QC_Pirate
Beginner

Appreciate everyone's input! You think sticking up around boone will be the better option, or would a trip down to Cat be worth it?
tyrell
Beginner

Went up last year with my brother and a friend on Wednesday/Thursday the second week in March. First day at Sugarwas close to 50°, and slushy. Pretty fun, small crowd. Got icy during the night session. Hit beech the next morning, it was 20° and had been groomed. Had the mountain almost to ourselves until after lunch, then not too many after that. Never waited more than two chairs either day. Both were at least 75% open. I'm going to try to get up for a day or two in March. Looking at the 5th for now...
I want more life...
ToroAzul
Beginner

I'll be at Sapphire on the 6th. Sad, ain't it?
OldSchool
Intermediate
Tagline: ......................I Love Cold, Rain and Snow!

March starts like Monday.????... the base depth is epic for NC....!! Get up to the mountains and SKI!
"Like Tater tots in the broiler"........ sometimes they smoke

Hey Bo! Hamme one dem beers!...
wilks
Beginner

+1 for late season Beech. Good times. Beech has plenty of snow right now so they should be good into March.
Tmiller72
Expert

Tons of snow everywhere. As long as the big rains stay away, March is setting up to be really good.
2019-20

Beech: 10
Snowshoe: 3
Alta: 2
Brighton: 1
Solitude: 1
Jackson Hole: 2