The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Canaan Valley Areas 2014-2015 Conditions and Meet-Ups

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

I just checked NWS. For this afternoon CVR & Wisp & 7Springs are expected to get 2-4", but Snowshoe was revised to 8-12"!!! Hmmm
grinderstation
Beginner

Forecast high sunday is -1 in the CV. Anybody here have experince with THAT kind of cold? think with EC humidity it would translate to -10 or colder out west. Jesus.
Droogie
Advanced

I have. Wear tons of warm layers. At least 1 hand warmer in each glove. Also, try to have your boots as warm as possible when you step out. You can take the liner out and blast the inside of your boots with a blow dryer to pretty much make them hot. Then put the liner in and hit the blow dryer again, but be careful not to activate the heat molding properties of your boots. Having that plastic warm to start with will really help. If you need to go in to warm up your feet take the boots off and the liners out so the plastic and the liner can both warm up more quickly. Once inside with the boots off take out your glove warmers and put them in your boot liner toe.

Cheers!
PeterCummins89

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your Topic with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
rock springs motel
rock springs motels
davidski
Expert

heading out -- crossing Mt. Storm will suck I fear
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

I drove to SS yesterday, and back. Roads were snow covered but no problems. I have AWD but there were many 2WD out and I didn't see any accidents or stuck. Drive that normally takes 2.25 took me 3 hrs. CV got less than others to south. My drive takes me thru Elkins which is ~30 miles SW from CV.

This weekend could be the best.
Niner National
Beginner

grinderstation wrote:Forecast high sunday is -1 in the CV. Anybody here have experince with THAT kind of cold? think with EC humidity it would translate to -10 or colder out west. Jesus.
I skied CVR last winter during one of the major cold spells. It was just below zero at the base and the top of the mountain was like -10 or -15. I had a tiny sliver of exposed skin on my face and it was burning the whole way down.

It wasn't very much fun honestly. Fortunately the next day was a little warmer.
davidski
Expert

it's really not that bad, little kids are manning up..... little rippers do not give a damn
BaZinGa
Advanced

Tues - Wisp
Wed - Tline
Thurs - CV
Fri, Sat, Sun - Shoe
Holla.
thefirewarde
Beginner

Canaan's starting to show bare spots on natural trails - esp. lower Spruce - but everything with manmade snow was fine today. Bumps 3/4 across Gravity. Timberline was also showing a few low spots on natural trails (some scrapes on Thunder Draft and their usual NASTAR course especially) but was also pretty good.