The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

The "Remember When" thread

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
n_alabamaskier
Advanced

Ok, Jeffrey or anybody else. What was the beta on the old Hawthorne lift and trail(s) at teh Shoe. I dont remember ever hearing about it. I will probably be sad it is gone like Big John (I think) at Ober. Never knew it existed until somebody on this board gave us the beta, but always at the bottom of Ober, I knew it would be great to have a trail from the "scenic" lift.
jeffryc
Expert

@n_alabamaskier 170848 wrote:Ok, Jeffrey or anybody else. What was the beta on the old Hawthorne lift and trail(s) at teh Shoe. I dont remember ever hearing about it. I will probably be sad it is gone like Big John (I think) at Ober. Never knew it existed until somebody on this board gave us the beta, but always at the bottom of Ober, I knew it would be great to have a trail from the "scenic" lift.

Hawthorne came off the Southern peak behind Top Of the World and faced the west like Cupp Run. It had a triple chair that was moved to the Basin side in the early to mid 80's. It was longer than the Basin slopes. From my understanding, it was just laid out in such a way that it didn't hold snow. It also was so far from all the other slopes, it got no traffic. I think they decided that the lift would be put to better use in the Basin. I talked to a couple of patrolers in '86 who were glad to see it gone. Next time you're at the Shoe, look west off the back of the summit and you can sort of make out where it is and see the cement pads that were used for the lift towers.
swamphox
Expert

@Bultaco188c 170818 wrote:I remember when as a student at WCU in the late 70's lift tickets being $3 at Sapphire Valley on weeknights and going over to Gatlingburg in the fall and spring and skiing on that wet artificial turf,beads or whatever it was.

keith

I remeber sledding on that stuff when i was a kid! they ahd these things that were like tricylces with skis on them and you'd ride them down. They were slow and sucky...the alpine slide was way better
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
admin

@jeffryc 170790 wrote:Rear entry boots ...

Remember??? I still use them after 15 years! Same with my skis (I did get a newer pair of those, though.)
jeffryc
Expert

@john-n-peggy 170855 wrote:Remember??? I still use them after 15 years! Same with my skis (I did get a newer pair of those, though.)

I just got rid of mine in 2007 after 22 years. Skis were only 18 years.
Southern Skiing
Intermediate

@jeffryc 170858 wrote:I just got rid of mine in 2007 after 22 years. Skis were only 18 years.

Maybe I'm on the wrong page, but I thought they still made rear entry boots? I've seen them as rentals this year.
gdwindowpane
Beginner

Remember when skis didn't have brakes. You had to have a run away strap. You would still see at least one run away ski a night... Usually with a JONG running down after it...
tazznc13
Intermediate

skiatlanta;170847 wrote:
the old old messageboard. i think only a couple here would

long long time ago
EastCoaster
Expert

@jeffryc 170858 wrote:I just got rid of mine in 2007 after 22 years. Skis were only 18 years.

Im just here to point out that you got your boots when I was less than a year old ;)
Ski Bunny
Advanced

Remember wooden skis? I've actually seen someone skiing on them! Remember Mill Ridge and Hound Ears ski hills?