The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Advice on affordable lodging for Canaan/ timberline.

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Dracan6
Expert
Tagline: Ready, set, see ya'!

But really, anything in that area is very affordable, compared to Shoe!
17-18 Just a wk at Breck. "Got Oxegen?" Is real!
WVULINK
Beginner

If you want cheap, I recommend the Windwood resort. Its about a 5-10 minute drive to both Timberline and Canaan Valley. Its called a fly-in resort because there is a small airstrip in front of the hotel/restaurant. But if you can afford to fly to C.V., I doubt you probably be staying somewhere nicer. The location is a little hidden in the valley but the rooms are decent and the attached restaurant is pretty good. Always found the staff to be very friendly I think the rooms range from $60-80 a night. There also have a bunk house that may be cheaper.

http://www.windwoodresort.com/Facilities.htm
Old Fart
Beginner

Timberline used to have some bunkhouses that were about $20/ngt, don't know if they still have them though. You usually got to share them with a Boy Scout troop or youth group. If you were really cheap, you could follow the Scouts and just take a bunk as long as there was one available.
davidski
Expert

^^^ did that for the first time during the big storm. It was great.
Their were NO boyscouts that storm weekend, although many of us did come prepared

Wnckayaker 123 the purple fiddle is an acquired taste, immediately off putting to some just right for others. If you are a river rat I'm sure you are up to the challenge. Midweek the place is empty, you pay for a shared room but are always alone. A lot of nice stuff in Thomas but remember it is a 10-15 min. drive to T-Line/Whitegrass/CVR.

Some Purple Fiddle pics here I'm looking for something else more thorough I posted, sadly their iconic cat must have died, the dog used to scratch at my door at night unless I let him in, he belonged to a guy staying for awhile one winter
http://www.skisoutheast.com/messageboar ... 9&t=128951

A very cheap motel option is the Alpine.

Whitegrass website links are great, always look at Chips daily report for fun and information too
Lodging links: http://www.whitegrass.com/lodging.html
Daily Report: http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html

Hey folks did you see the Valley had a major write up in February POWDER!! Cool

If you are going to the Fiddle PM me, there are some things you should bring with you.
skipanther
Advanced

I've stayed @ the Alpine,The Windwood,The Econo lodge in Elkins,my car and some place across from the gas station near TL!
Old Fart
Beginner

I forgot to mention the one time I got there about 3AM and poked around until I found an unlocked window to the rental department. Snuck in and crashed on the rental counter until they came in about 7. The rental people laughed their asses off, and then found me a vacant office I could crash in until the lifts started. Seriously cool people up there.

Davidski, is Doc still around?
davidski
Expert

I don't think so I met a lot of people but I don't think I met any Doc. I'm guessing there's a story there
BaZinGa
Advanced

Canaan Valley Conference Center has really nice new rooms. Indoor pool, sauna, hot tub, restaurant. Some midweek packages include lift ticket to Canaan and they have a shuttle if you don't want to drive ~2 miles. The wife approves. Reasonable price for 2, may be a tad high if flying solo.
davidski
Expert

hmm... well I guess he got what he needed