Some resorts are catching their breath for a minute before the onslaught of the 1-2 punch . . . V-Day and Presidents Weekend. By ‘catch their breath’, I mean just a couple of trail/tubing closures AND/OR taking advantage of this opportunity to make some high quality snow. Most resorts have or will fire up their snow guns as a mini arctic blast is swooping down from the north (-3F wind chills at Beech today).
A couple of the northernmost resorts picked up a Trace to .3″ of snow last night with more to fall today in the Canaan Valley.
The further south you go (VA/NC/TN) it should be a more bluebird, but windy day.
The way the calendar/weather combo is lining-up, it looks like we are going to go ‘3 for 3’ with Winter Break, MLK, and now Pres. weekend all delivering the goods.
That being said, today you will have some room to carve it up!
VA had some unexpected closures yesterday . . . Back to full power today
- Bryce: was closed yesterday due to a power outage. Bryce is OPEN today (9am-8:30pm)
- Speaking of open it looks like Bryce DOES have a terrain park set up (as seen)
- Wintergreen: had closed Highlands yesterday due to weather
- Today . . . “It’s going to be another fabulous day on the slopes. Weather cleared overnight, we freshened the slopes, the sun will shine and you will smile!”
- Tomorrow . . . “We’re closing in on Valentine’s Day. Don’t forget to come up for chairlift speed dating on the Powder of Love Lift on Thursday. Fun for everyone! Cupid is taking aim.”
- “Horay for sunshine! Breezy with highs today in the upper 30s.
- Snowmaking on 6 (of 14) runs today . . . “The snowmaking team is taking advantage of a short window this morning on a few trails.”
- College Days Special today – $40 Slope – Use with ID.
- Homestead: Scheduled Closure Today – Maintenance. Reopens tomorrow at 10am . . . Tubing too
Wisp had to close (temporarily) yesterday due to “the continued icing and freezing rain”
- Wisp: Open today until 9pm on 27 runs (23 groomed).
- Snowmaking on (5) Happy Camper, Sunset Boulevard, Central Park, Backbone Pass, and Ridge Run.
- “The Good News: This evening we are anticipating a window to make snow through Thursday. Along with a natural dusting, the slopes should be in great shape for the weekend!”
WV had Trace to .3″ overnight . . . More to come today . . . Prepping for this weekend
- Snowshoe: “Mother Nature left us with a trace of snow this morning and there’s more snow in the forecast this week.”
- Snowmaking on 15 runs at ‘Shoe (none at SilverCreek) . . . “Our snowmakers are back to work resurfacing the trails. Be cautious as there will be snowmaking on open terrain today.”
- Groomed 42/43 runs at ‘Shoe, 16/17 at SilverCreek
- Canaan Valley: “CV has experienced light snow overnight, with snow showers forecasted to continue to fall throughout the day.”
- Timber Trail and Critter Crawl (beginners’) will be closed today and most of tomorrow for snowmaking.
- Tubing will close today at 1:30pm for snowmaking purposes. Reopens tomorrow morning on a regular schedule.
- WV Wednesdays today . . . “Bring in a WV ID and receive a $15 lift ticket, $25 ski rental, or $35 board rental.”
- Plunge, Nosedive (advanced runs) and Wood’s Run (intermediate) will be closed today and reopen tomorrow.
- Currently 27F, High of 35F today . . . “Forecast: Mostly sunny throughout the day. It should be a great day to be on the slopes.”
- Armed Forces Appreciation Day today
A beautiful (albeit windy) day on showcase for NC today
- Cataloochee: “It’s a beautiful day in our neighborhood . . . The temperature is 27 degrees and we are currently making snow.”
- Wednesdays are Family Days and a child 17 and under will receive a free lift ticket when accompanied by a paying parent purchasing a full price adult day, twilight or night lift ticket.
- Beech: Great news article highlighting Beech Mountain Resort reaching out to elementary school featuring dryland instruction . . . Beech Mountain and Edge of the World bring the ski slopes to Cove Creek
- Don’t forget . . . “Every Wednesday night starting January 2nd, is Men’s Night. $15 night slope passes for the men. Bring the guys and have some fun!”
- Pair it up with some Trivia tonight
- App: App Cup Race Series tonight
- Wolf: Closed ‘Upper Streak’ run (advanced) today
- “Great day for riding . . . The sun is out and it’s shaping up to be a beautiful day…a great day to come and Ride the Wolf! We have a 47″ base with 9 slopes open and 3 lifts running. It’s Women’s Wednesday…1/2 off lift tickets for ladies. See you soon on the slopes!”
Ober is bouncing back
- Ober: “Yesterday’s weather was rough– WARM, rain with lots of wind. Thankfully, 7 of 10 Slopes are open from Noon-10pm.”
- “Surface condition is machine groomed granular, All slopes groomed, including Mogul. The snow in the Terrain Park was pushed out and will be rebuilt this morning before we open.”
- SNOWMAKING: Currently making snow, most likely until about 10 am.
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]