What a cold morning it is, as every resort was sub-freezing this morning. In fact, the wind chill values TODAY will be as cold as -7 at Snowshoe, -6 at Beech, and -3 at Canaan, Timberline, and Wisp . . . that’s some cold air!
Let’s not discount the fact that all WV resorts saw some measureable snow (ranging from 2.7″ to Trace). NC saw an 1″ to Trace. Even a couple of resorts saw a dusting of snow in VA and TN.
To sum it all up, if you didn’t get in on the snowfall overnight, there are snowmaking opportunities abound.
I’ll leave you with this quote from Ober this morning. I think they summed up the (internal) snowmaking debate the best without stating the obvious. I bet every resort has this in the back of their mind at this point of the year . . .
Cold temps have moved in and we will continue to make snow as temperatures allow. As you all know it’s a must at this point in the season. If we don’t make snow, we run the risk of not having enough snow and cutting our season short… (remember last year!!)… For now, please plan for snowmaking as we are simply doing what we can to make sure we have a great season!”
All the resorts in WV saw SOME natural snow . . .
- Snowshoe Mountain: 2.5″ of new snow (with scattered snow until 1pm). 24 hour temp change from 32 to 13
- The goods continue . . . “With another 2.5″ of snow that brings our total to 8.5″ over the past seven days!”
- Canaan Valley: 2.7″ of new snow (with light snow currently falling, until 3pm). 24 hour temp change from 40 to 16.
- 21 trails open today (with snowmaking on 5 of those open trails)
- XC Skiing is closed until conditions improve
- Timberline: 2.7″ of new snow (with light snow currently falling, until 3pm). 24 hour temp change from 40 to 16.
- 2 trails and 1 lift in service today.
- Winterplace: Trace snowfall. 24 hour temp change from 42 to 22.
- Forecast . . . “Cloudy this morning with some snow and then gradual clearing.”
Wisp gets an inch, with more to come . . .
- Wisp: 1″ of new snow (with half an inch expected throughout the day) . . . “Wind chill values as low as -3 today”
- ” . . . snow accumulation of up to 7 inches through Tuesday.”
- Open on 28 runs open with snowmaking on 15 of those open runs, and 3 unopened runs.
- Nordic Center open from 10am – 4pm.
NC saw some ‘scattered’ snow
- Beech Mountain: 1″ of new snow.
- “Wind chill values as low as -6 today”.
- 11 runs open with snowmaking expected
- Packed Powder and Variable conditions
- Cataloochee: Trace snow.
- Snowmaking galore . . . “We are 100% OPEN on all 18 slopes and trails with a base of 61-101″ (can you say WOW now?) and a groomed, packed powder surface.”
- Terrain Park update . . . “Although the terrain for Cat Cage Terrain Park is open each day now, there are days depending on snowmaking that it may or may not have features or rails.”
- Wolf Ridge: .4″ of new snow.
- 46″ base today . . . up from 44″ yesterday
- Snowmaking is on
- Sapphire: Reopens at Noon today.
- 4-6″ of manmade snow this week. Base depth is 25-59″
- Appalachian Ski Mountain:
- 1″ of manmade snow overnight . . . Base is now 103-129″
- 9 (of 12) runs open today.
- “AppalTop and AppalJack are open with a variety of features including small and medium jumps.”
No new snow to speak of in VA, but GOOD conditions . . .
- Massanutten: no new snowfall
- Today . . . “Decreasing clouds with highs in the upper 20s. Snowmaking is in progress and will continue as temperatures allow.”
- Tomorrow . . . “We hope to be 100% open tomorrow with snowmaking focused on Upper Mak Attack today and tonight.”
- Saturday . . . “CMB Terrain Park will be closed on Saturday from ~1:00pm – 5:00pm for a USACA event.”
- Wintergreen: no new snowfall
- “Today we open with 21 (of 25) slopes!”
- ” . . . the forecast is showing a good stretch for great smowmaking. Mother Nature may add to the snow party on Tuesday. We’re working to build our base to make it last.”
- Omni Homestead: Trace Snowfall
- Open on 7 runs (5 intermediate, 2 beginner)
- Snowmaking is in progress . . . Wear those goggles
- Bryce: No new snow. 24 hour temp change from 55 to 32
- Good clip set to music
Ober is open until midnight tonight!
- Ober: Trace snowfall.
- “Good morning! Today the slopes will be open from 9am – Midnight for Ober ROCKS! We hope you can make it out. Ober Chute, Yeti’s Run, Upper Bear, Lower Bear, Mogul Ridge, Cub Way, Castle, Ski School All open with a 25″-40″ base. We hope you an make it out! We have a special lift ticket/Rental & Lesson prices of $10.35 from 8pm-Midnight!”
- Good point . . . “Cold temps have moved in and we will continue to make snow as temperatures allow. As you all know it’s a must at this point in the season. If we don’t make snow, we run the risk of not having enough snow and cutting our season short… (remember last year!!)… For now, please plan for snowmaking as we are simply doing what we can to make sure we have a great season!”
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]