It’s been a little ho-hum around here for the last week as our traffic has dropped way off to about 25% of what we saw in mid January or so. We haven’t been getting many emails and news has been a little slow. That happens when the temperatures HERE in the higher elevations gets into the 70s! I can imagine all of you flatlanders are polishing up your boats, golf gear, etc.
I ran a little tease comment about Global Warming on Wednesday and saw NO response so I figured that either (a) Nobody was paying attention or (b) Everyone agreed with my comment so I was emboldened to elaborate on the subject. I did so on Thursday and then checked our stats package to see just how many people read the front page. Looks like around 13,000 +/- visited the twin sites of SkiNC and SkiSoutheast on Thursday with about 10,400 of you guys reading the front page stories. I sat my laptop over to the side of my desk so that I could move on to my “real job” and waited to see the responses pour in. I figured the controversial subject of Global Warming would really spice things up; especially since I offered a viewpoint that is supposedly 180° opposed to the supposed “majority” of the public. (To read THAT article – click here.)
Within about two minutes the first response came in – then another and another. I was surprised to see no negative replies or comments. Of course I eventually DID get a couple and we’ll mention the FEW that I did get. I don’t have time or space to paste all of the supportive ones, but I WILL post ALL of the negative ones (except that I will have to clean up a couple of them)!
To be fair with the negative responses that I received, I will not post names, since these people are certainly apt to want to sue me for revealing their comments! First, here are ALL of the negative emails.
1. “I’m glad you added that little bonus comment, "global warming is bogus" in the latest blog. Yes, totally bogus. No truth what so ever, even after the warmest winter across the globe on record. It’s just not getting warmer, thermometers lie, they LIE I SAY!! It has got to be a worldwide thermometer conspiracy. Please do tell more about the bogus hype that is global warming, and what your opinion is. I enjoy a good laugh.” – He did add, “Keep up the good work on the website!” – Matt from Whitefish, MT
2. “Funny how you rip Gore to shreds but yet make no mention of Pat Robertson’s take on bad times being God’s punishment on us for being such bad people. Of course, I would be surprised if an %$#hole like you beleives in that &%$. Fortunatley, republican support has dwindled down. Even better is thhe fact that people like you who think Global Warming is a farce, iis an even smaller number. signed, just another pinko-commie-moonbat-socialist-treehugging-fagsuporting-hondadriving-hippie”
(I left this intelligent person’s statement untouched regarding grammar and spelling for obvious reasons! I DID have to clean up the profanity!)
3. “I read your article on SkiNC.com and felt I needed to respond. Anyone who denies global warming at this point in simply just being ignorant. First off, the mercury went up to 75 degrees in Washington DC this January for 4 days in a row. The average January high temperature for that region is 45 degrees Record breaking heat in the entire Western portion of the country in February presisted into early March, with temperatures pushing past the 90 degree mark at least twice in Los Angeles. Here in central Florida, the average high for this time of year of around 77, but its been around 80 degrees for 6 weeks straight and counting, excluding two or three cool days caused by a weak cold front. The Greenalnd ice sheet has decreased in thickness by 25% since the ’70’s. Something needs to be done about this problem, and denying the truth is only going to lead to utter world destruction.” – Signed Nathan.
TH-TH-THAT’S ALL FOLKS!
Three emails in disagreement. D-a-n-g! I was fully expecting a ton! For the record, as of this morning at 9am, I have received 103 comments regarding the ‘global warming” story and now you know why there’s no room to post the 100 in agreement. Here are some of the better ones.
1. “First of all I completely agree with you about all this and the fact is yes we are warmer than we were a little while ago but the further back you start the time frame the more you realize that this is just a bump in the road in our skiing lives and it will so cycle back down without question.” (He wrote much more with some facts of his own, but we don’t have room to post all of it.) Thanks Kevin.
2. “I just read your rant about global warming, and I have to say I’m incredibly pleased that at least some people are seeing through the media and European politician propaganda. I recently finished reading a book titled "Unstoppable Global Warming Every 1500 Years." I would highly recommend you give it a read. …Ironic no one ever tells us how prosperous the Medieval Warming period was, especially compared to any of the cold periods in human history. Thanks a lot; it’s nice to hear that someone running a site so closely tied and reliant on the climate can see through the haze.” – Scott (He too included a lot more factual data.)
3. “Thought you might find this interesting since you were talking about global warming and Al Gore. POWER: GORE MANSION USES 20X AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD; CONSUMPTION INCREASE AFTER ‘TRUTH’ AIRS.” – Jonathan (Will comment more about this in a moment.)
4. “Living here in a land full of liberal, kool-aid drinking hippies that all tell me my V8 car is killing mankind, it is nice to see such a well written article. I hope that many who read your article take all the facts into account and start to develop their own opinions rather than listen to the blather spouted off by the left wing media. Good article, and if you change just one persons opinion then you have done right in the eyes of the world. Remember, tell all your friends – Liberalism is a mental disorder and Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid.” – Anthony C. (Great comment Anthony.)
5. “I have been viewing your site for many years and always look forward to find out what is going on "up there". …I am a high school biology teacher, and have some knowledge of what is called Global Warming, and yet I have not heard any of the concepts that you mentioned. I HAVE heard of the year without a summer, but paid no attention to it until now. I have been telling my students about global warming and all but nothing regarding the fact that there IS proof of previous warmer periods. Global warming was not much I ever paid attention to. I never thought much of it and in fact could care less what Al Gore does or talks about, but YOUR ramblings on global warming were great. …Anyway great website, and perhaps now I might pay more attention to your news sections since I was greatly entertained by you. Keep up the good work.” – Aaron B. , Bradenton, FL
GLOBAL WARMING – NOT! – Part Two
I couldn’t help but notice that those few who posted any kind of negative response to my story either couldn’t write or spell. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume that they were typing their response through heated emotions and anger! However, that in and of itself is telling as well. Notice when someone writes a commentary that disagrees with their view, they choose to berate and make claims about how ignorant I must be. Another constant in the news media, Mr. Gore and even the three emailers who disagreed with my assessment is that they simply choose to ignore factual statements and dwell on what’s happening TODAY, without consideration for the past.
If I used the approach that most Global Warming supporters use, then I would be a miserable soul. Why, you ask? Remember that they don’t look to the past; they only look at today. Using that concept – today I’d BELIEVE in Global Warming since the temps are getting into the 70s. Last Saturday, I’d have to been a supporter of a Global Mini Ice Age, because the highs were in the 20s and we had 3” of snow!
The strange thing though, is the fact that Global Warming supporters don’t really do that. They choose to ignore the colder trends and only remember the warm days. Kind of selective memory if you ask me.
All three of the negative comments above chose to ignore ANY reference to the past, and only think about what’s happening today! That is what Global Warming proponents WANT you to do. Don’t fall for it.
Do you know that many of these same GWF (global warming fanatics) predicted just after Mount Saint Helens erupted that we’d experience a mini ice age. One scientist wrote, “Mt. Saint Helens is not the first volcano to erupt and send tons of ash into our atmosphere. There’s proof that we are indeed going to experience a mini ice age. The last time a super volcano erupted it was Toba, in Indonesia, about 74,000 years ago, and it produced a cloud cover that cut sunlight and chilled the planet enough that a mass extinction took place. At the least, we should investigate and expect severe drops in temperatures and more ice and snow cover across much of the northern U.S.”
DID THAT HAPPEN – Uh, no! (I wonder whether or not he was paid to do his suggested investigation.)
During the time when Sadam Hussein was setting fire to all of the oil wells during the Gulf War, there were numerous scientist forecasting terrible environment consequences. These too were going to spell horrible end results for us AND one such scientist wrote, “Perhaps one of the best cover-ups was of the truth about the amount of environmental damage that was caused in the Gulf War of 1990-91, when Sadam Hussein set-fire to over a thousand oil-wells and tipped tons of sticky black crude-oil into the sea. This disaster caused, and is still causing (it has diluted and spread-out but it is still there) incalculable damage and has been and still is a major factor in the acceleration of the ‘green-house’ effect and the changing of global climate, with the havoc and destruction it is causing. The crude-oil in that region of the world is very heavily laden with sulphur and when you mix sulphur with water you get sulphuric acid. It rained sulphuric acid-rain for thousands of miles around that area, over wherever the wind blew the smoke-pollution. Also the sulphur-gas in the smoke turns to sulphuric acid when it comes in contact with the moisture in our lungs and sweat and the people of Kuwait were having respiratory (breathing) difficulties early-on and the full details were never publicized.”
Let’s read a bit further in this “expert’s” comments. He writes, “More recently, the bombing of fuel storage facilities and chemical plants and factories in Serbia and Kosovo by the NATO forces has had a direct and immediate impact on the world’s climate and environment, with freak tornados ripping through central U.S.A. at the time of the bombings, and now, since the bombing has stopped, Eastern U.S.A. is experiencing the worst heat-wave and drought in living memory.”
This guy goes on and on, but ends his dissertation by saying, “Many tell us that the flapping of a butterfly’s wings can cause a hurricane on the other side of the planet, but when they are being paid by governments to keep us in the dark, or actually to deceive us, they don’t seem to think thousands of jet engines and bombs and millions of cars harm, or disturb the environment at all. Strange, don’t you think?”
According to this guy, Mother Nature sent some “freak tornados” to rip the United States “AT THE TIME OF THE BOMBINGS” by NATO troops in Kosovo. Admittedly, this guy’s over the top “science” is pure lunacy and probably not a fair example of how even the strongest supporters of Global Warming actually feel. Nevertheless, many scientists DID forecast global weather changes due to the oil field burnings.
DID IT HAPPEN – Uh, no!
Am I saying that NO harm comes from oil field burnings, volcanic eruptions, or by Al Gore’s huge SUV’s emissions? No I am not. Certainly, former Vice President Gore’s TWENTY TIMES THE AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD energy guzzling has to have a negative effect somewhere. It SHOULD affect his credibility or lack of it.
On one hand Mr. Gore and other GWF (global warming fanatics) tell US that we should be looking out for Mother Earth by cutting back on our “carbon footprint” and on the other hand HE and many others in Hollywood who strongly support his concepts TOTALLY IGNORE their own advice. When you look at how hypocritical the facts are, you HAVE to believe that Mr. Gore either doesn’t believe his own data OR doesn’t care.
When he was appearing at the U.S. Capitol the other day he was spouting all of the same information that appeared in his “Inconvenient Truth”. When he was asked if HE would take the “energy oath” that he was saying that WE Americans should all take, he would not respond or take his own suggested oath. Instead, he argued that he was buying carbon credits as all Americans who have a larger carbon footprint than “average” should do.
First HE OWNS the company that is selling those carbon credits. That’s more of a “convenient truth!”
Second, Mr. Gore, let’s say you have your facts correct and that we ARE killing Mother Earth. If that IS the case then what if we ALL don’t do ANYTHING to save our planet and JUST BUY CARBON CREDITS. Where is the FIX in that plan?
I repeat, either Mr. Gore doesn’t believe in his own data or he doesn’t think it’s important enough to take his own suggested oath.
It is THAT kind of lunacy that SHOULD convince anyone with a brain that there is nothing to the Global Warming farce except for those who are trying to make money off of the scare tactics.
CLOSING UP FOR TODAY…
Nicole Williams of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research wrote, “Recently, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy. Gore’s mansion, [20-room, eight-bathroom] located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES). In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home. The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh more than 20 times the national average. Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359. Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006. Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year. As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use, said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson. In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006. “
As for the statement by one of our emailers who wrote that people like me who think Global Warming is a farce, is dwindling – you are ignoring yet another fact. More and more people are jumping on this bandwagon and are now coming forward with facts that support how ludicrous the GWF are.
I have to end this for today, as I need to get out and enjoy this near record warm spell today. It’s heading to a beautiful 72° today! Enjoy it while you can because the cold spell of 2216 will be a cold one!
Until Next Time…
Send comments and emails to: [email protected]
For more information about the ski resorts of the Southeast and Mid Atlantic visit www.SkiSoutheast.com
REMEMBER TO VIEW ARCHIVED ARTICLES IN CASE YOU MISSED A STORY POSTED EARLIER TODAY
Snowshoe Resort is Hosting Our SkiSoutheast.com Summit March 3,4,5th and YOU are Invited!
We think we have put together what should be the best deal we’ve ever had for this event and we want you to come and join the fun. It’s always great to play at Snowshoe and to do so with 20% OFF Lodging, and a Free Sunday Lift Pass is a great deal. We are ALSO giving away TWO Free Snowshoe Season Passes, Free TShirts, boggans, stickers, hats and more. Click HERE or on the Graphic below to see more information, book and JOIN US.
If you like skiing or snowboarding and you want to meet some new friends and get 20% OFF LODGING, a Free Sunday Lift Ticket AND be able to ski the slopes before ANYONE ELSE on the mountain…join us March, 3rd, 4th and 5th.